Re: [Shop-talk] Ever seen one of these welding torches?

To: Scott Hall <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>, shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Ever seen one of these welding torches?
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 00:40:55 -0500
On Tue, Sep 20, 2022 at 4:28 PM Scott Hall
<scott.hall.personal@gmail.com> wrote:

> I got this thing:
>
> https://imgur.com/a/Sftaaot
>
> With a normal Victor torch. I already had a Victor torch, and really want=
ed this thing. It's smaller and looks like it's easier to handle.

> The guy at the gas supply says it's a Prest-o-lite torch. I can't find an=
ything like it online searching any variations of that name. I guess it mig=
ht be a jeweler's torch, but I don't see anything there, either, though to =
be fair I am maybe the worst internet searcher ever.

Prest-o-lite were an early maker of (and may have actually invented,
they certainly improved) automobile headlights, powered by acetylene.
(What could possibly go wrong?) they also made small torches; the ones
i've seen weren't like that, more like a normal torch.  Many of their
torches were air-acetylene, but some were oxy- as well.  They
disappeared before WWII, and were part of some other company, and
ended up owned by Union Carbide.  that would mean ESAB are the current
owners.  the torches are very popular jewler's torches, there has to
be some parts support for them.

One thing prest-o-lite invented that lives on is the POL fitting used
on propane cylinders (also known as CGA 510 or type 21), bull nosed
male fitting, left hand threads, maybe a hand wheel, maybe needs a
wrench.  Modern examples use an o-ring on the bullnose piece as the
sealing surface, the original design uses metal on metal contract.
For smaller applances, it's been superseded by the right hand acme
connector, but the POL is common on appliances hooked up to larger
tanks, like heaters and generators.

My first thought looking at your picture is you have a cutting torch,
missing the valve to increase oxygen flow when actually cutting.

--=20
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com