Re: [Shop-talk] Shipping antique wooden propellers

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Shipping antique wooden propellers
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 16:20:17 -0700
I can't advise on a shipper, but you are wise to be cautious. Years ago,
I was in a partnership for a Cherokee 180, which needed to have its prop
replaced (ground down one too many times). After a lot of (internet)
shopping, we found a serviceable prop, and had it shipped to us; it
arrived damaged (we sent it back). After much more shopping around, we
found another; the mechanics had it hung on the engine before they
discovered it had a golfball-sized gouge on the trailing edge, as if it
had been speared by a forklift prong. Back to the interwebs. We found
yet another serviceable prop and had it shipped, this time with $1M
insurance on it--it arrived undamaged. I don't recall all the shippers,
but the final shipment was by FedEx (we might have tried UPS as well).
Props are an awkward size and shape for shipping, but a massive policy
on them seems to warrant extra care from the shippers.