[Shop-talk] Shipping antique wooden propellers

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Shipping antique wooden propellers
From: Jim Stone <1789alpine@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 19:07:41 -0400
My great grandfather was one of the countryâ??s first manufacturerâ??s of
wooden airplane propellers and his personal collection of 7 props was sold to a
collector in Savannah, GA when he died.  I, and other members of my family,
have worked for many years to have them returned to the family and we finally
succeeded last week.  We had a family lottery to find them new homes and 3 of
them now need to go to the west coast, 3 to the Chicago area and the last to
Kentucky.  (It isnâ??t relevant to the question that follows, but it is nice to
add that 6 of the 7 are going to younger members of the family that are buying
their first prop.  Those of my generation have been searching them out and
snapping them up for years, and most of us already own one or two*.)

Now comes the hard part: getting them to their new owners.  The props are 80 to
110 years old and most of them are around 8â?? long; one is 10â??.  The good
thing about wooden props is that they donâ??t weigh much, but they will need to
be handled carefully.  We are planning on shipping them in two bundles of three
props (the one to KY will be handled separately) and need to find a shipper who
can pack them up in GA and get them to the west coast and Chicago.  This is a
long shot, but does anyone here have any contacts or direct knowledge of a
shipper that might be appropriate for the job?

Thanks,
Jim

*Shop content: My props hang on the inside wall adjacent to my shop.  :)