Re: [Shop-talk] Air impact dead?

To: Scott Hall <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Air impact dead?
From: old dirtbeard <dirtbeard@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2021 10:43:29 -0800
Cc: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>

--00000000000031d04505b9819111

I have seen this with seldom used air impact wrenches. The air paddles in
the motor get stuck in their slots and will not seal. You will hear the air
escaping from the wrench, but with little movement or power.

You could try to squirt some air tool oil in it, spin it just a little to
spread it around the paddles, let it set for a few hours and try it again
to see if it free the paddles before you open it up.

best,

doug

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 10:08 AM Scott Hall <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>
wrote:

> IR2131 - 1/2" impact.
>
> It's maybe 20 years old. Been used maybe half a dozen times in twenty
> years (it has a brother that gets used usually) and has lived a coddled
> life in a padded tool drawer. Not even really dusty.
>
> Tried it the other day and it acts like there's no air in the compressor.
> Turns really slow with no power at all. Not even a first good smack.
>
> I'm trying to use it with a portable roofing compressor (the two long
> tanks, maybe three gallon capacity), but it puts out 100+ p.s.i. and it
> filled up.
>
> Should I try to take it (the wrench) apart and see if something's in the
> passages? Do they just wear out over time, even if not used? Might the
> compressor be too small? My only thought is maybe a wasp got into it and
> made a nest somewhere in there. I don't *see* anything, but...

--00000000000031d04505b9819111

 air paddles in the motor get stuck in their slots and will not seal. You w=
ill hear the air escaping from the wrench, but with little movement or powe=
 it just a little to spread it around the paddles, let it set for a few hou=
rs and try it again to see if it free the paddles before you open it up.</d=
div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Fri, Jan=
 22, 2021 at 10:08 AM Scott Hall &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:scott.hall.personal@=
e class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px s=
olid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr">IR2131 - 1/2&quot;=
lf a dozen times in twenty years (it has a brother that gets used usually) =
and has lived a coddled life in a padded tool drawer. Not even really dusty=
9;s no air in the compressor. Turns really slow with no power at all. Not e=
ith a portable roofing compressor (the two long tanks, maybe three gallon c=
 in the passages? Do they just wear out over time, even if not used? Might =
the compressor be too small? My only thought is maybe a wasp got into it an=
d made a nest somewhere in there. I don&#39;t *see* anything, but...</div><=
/div>
ox.team.net</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk"; rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a href=