Re: [Shop-talk] Blast cabinet, media

To: Darrell Walker <darrellw360@mac.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Blast cabinet, media
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2020 09:16:01 -0800
Cc: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=dk12062016; d=earthlink.net; b=bhBlTo81jIth7HpR3o4kr3umxnSlFus31BlME0U0NjjpksskmMQRH6iFhMenXvous+b807YCwKc31aFcgmEZ4lqYVZtPL3PugAIuSnIoQl3tzSztloKqK8FJTLCcyWHtitTWamyDdjxj0ZbCvplELnD7kHAUNWrU6tYy7l5tRPy+Zuci0rHR0FXj9EtjKpzaYC+ofNtoWtX7yjZ1gB1lBX/+wIKMY1tNn41FxMfNCDH29aHESvJmm6Xa8qKnCVV5a0PD2WnVT+j9IaJVR8UE/mF8tnvAdWZLSLi5axOnNTxqb/Xj1wfPn+RrLb5t0jwZKeDCl/l9hlnqUKBTONuJ2A==; h=Received:Subject:To:Cc:References:From:Message-ID:Date:User-Agent:MIME-Version:In-Reply-To:Content-Type:Content-Language:X-ELNK-Trace:X-Originating-IP;

--------------41E6B4DE623656CB634C5F00

For those on the list that think it sure would be nice to have a blast
cabinet of any sort, but don't have space for even a small one, you can
do what I did when I lived in an apartment and make one out of a box and
a sheet of plexiglass.  I used a box about 18x18x24 and taped three of
the flaps up, leaving a long one down for my arms.  I taped a piece of
24x30 plexiglass to the top.

Bought a cheap sand blaster hoper/gun setup from Sears.  Here is an option:
https://www.harborfreight.com/portable-abrasive-blaster-kit-37025.html

Used it out in the driveway with gloves and a respirator - too much dust
for in the garage.  Given the ultra fine silica dust, a respirator is
important - you need more than a dust mask.  Sifted the used play sand
with a mesh baseball cap to reuse.

Worked great for my TR6 suspension bits and folded up under an inch
thick.  Didn't have a compressor, so ran it off partially empty scuba
tanks fed through a portable air tank.

Hopefully this some of the space or finance limited list members that
there are resourceful ways to do things like sandblasting.

Brian

> On Sat, Dec 26, 2020 at 2:06 PM Darrell Walker <darrellw360@mac.com
>

>     Iâ??m thinking of using some Christmas money on a bench top blast
>     cabinet.  I realize the small size will limit what I can blast,
>     but that is about all the space Iâ??m willing to allocate, and it
>     should handle most of what I would be looking at blasting.
>
>     So a some questions for the list:
>
>     1.  For those of you with blast cabinets, do you find yourself
>     using it more than you expected?  My first project would be
>     cleaning up some suspension parts (mostly paint removal).  I think
>     enough projects come along that it would be worth having one, but
>     I would love to be surprised to find additional uses.
>
>     2.  What is a good all purpose, reusable media to use?  I would
>     mostly be removing paint, and some surface rust.
>
>     3.  The first parts I would be cleaning have some machined
>     surfaces (threaded holes, tapers, etc).  How careful do you need
>     to be to protect those areas?  And what if the best way to do
>     that?  One of the parts will be a strut tube, which includes the
>     stub axle.  Iâ??m thinking that wrapping that area in duct tape
>     might be a good idea.
>
>     Thanks!
>     -Darrell
>
>     --
>     Darrell Walker
>     66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
>     81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
>     Vancouver, WA, USA

>     <http://www.team.net/donate.html>
>     Suggested annual donation  $12.96
>     Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk
>     <http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk>
>     http://autox.team.net/archive <http://autox.team.net/archive>
>
>     Unsubscribe/Manage:
>     http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/marka@maracing.com
>     <http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/marka@maracing.com>

--------------41E6B4DE623656CB634C5F00

  <head>
  </head>
    For those on the list that think it sure would be nice to have a
    blast cabinet of any sort, but don't have space for even a small
    one, you can do what I did when I lived in an apartment and make one
    out of a box and a sheet of plexiglass.  I used a box about 18x18x24
    and taped three of the flaps up, leaving a long one down for my
    arms.  I taped a piece of 24x30 plexiglass to the top.<br>
    Bought a cheap sand blaster hoper/gun setup from Sears.  Here is an
    option:<br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="https://www.harborfreight.com/portable-abrasive-blaster-kit-37025.html";>https://www.harborfreight.com/portable-abrasive-blaster-kit-37025.html</a><br>
    Used it out in the driveway with gloves and a respirator - too much
    dust for in the garage.  Given the ultra fine silica dust, a
    respirator is important - you need more than a dust mask.  Sifted
    the used play sand with a mesh baseball cap to reuse.<br>
    Worked great for my TR6 suspension bits and folded up under an inch
    thick.  Didn't have a compressor, so ran it off partially empty
    scuba tanks fed through a portable air tank.<br>
    Hopefully this some of the space or finance limited list members
    that there are resourceful ways to do things like sandblasting.<br>
    Brian<br>
cite="mid:CAAoSWGOpb4Va7R3FdhjMFPs20cHxeccg95b2OBBiqGbCZ-vyHg@mail.gmail.com">
          PM Darrell Walker &lt;<a href="mailto:darrellw360@mac.com";
            moz-do-not-send="true">darrellw360@mac.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
          0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><br>
          Iâ??m thinking of using some Christmas money on a bench top
          blast cabinet.  I realize the small size will limit what I can
          blast, but that is about all the space Iâ??m willing to
          allocate, and it should handle most of what I would be looking
          at blasting.<br>
          So a some questions for the list:<br>
          1.  For those of you with blast cabinets, do you find yourself
          using it more than you expected?  My first project would be
          cleaning up some suspension parts (mostly paint removal).  I
          think enough projects come along that it would be worth having
          one, but I would love to be surprised to find additional uses.<br>
          2.  What is a good all purpose, reusable media to use?  I
          would mostly be removing paint, and some surface rust.<br>
          3.  The first parts I would be cleaning have some machined
          surfaces (threaded holes, tapers, etc).  How careful do you
          need to be to protect those areas?  And what if the best way
          to do that?  One of the parts will be a strut tube, which
          includes the stub axle.  Iâ??m thinking that wrapping that area
          in duct tape might be a good idea.<br>
          Thanks!<br>
          -Darrell<br>
          -- <br>