Re: [Shop-talk] bacteria based drain cleaner was Re: Soil stack venting

To: "Tim ." <tims_datsun_stuff@outlook.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] bacteria based drain cleaner was Re: Soil stack venting issue
From: Benjamin Zwissler <bjzwissler@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2020 17:54:09 -0500
Cc: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>

--000000000000e5dd3705b5e7b4bd

It's been a few years, but bought it either at Lowe's or Walmart and it was
a quart size plastic bottle with a powder you mixed with warm water.  I
think it was roebic brand.

Ben

On Mon, Dec 7, 2020, 5:47 PM Tim . <tims_datsun_stuff@outlook.com> wrote:

> Any favorites out there or brands to avoid?
> thanks
>
> ------------------------------

39;s or Walmart and it was a quart size plastic bottle with a powder you mi=
xed with warm water.=C2=A0 I think it was roebic brand.<div dir=3D"auto"><b=
v dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Mon, Dec 7, 2020, 5:47 PM Tim . &lt;<=
a href=3D"mailto:tims_datsun_stuff@outlook.com";>tims_datsun_stuff@outlook.c=
n:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">

:rgb(0,0,0)">
Any favorites out there or brands to avoid?=C2=A0</div>
:rgb(0,0,0)">
thanks</div>
:rgb(0,0,0)">
<hr style=3D"display:inline-block;width:98%">
alibri, sans-serif" color=3D"#000000" style=3D"font-size:11pt"><b>From:</b>=
 Shop-talk &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:shop-talk-bounces@autox.team.net"; target=
=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">shop-talk-bounces@autox.team.net</a>&gt; on =
behalf of Benjamin Zwissler &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bjzwissler@gmail.com"; tar=
get=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">bjzwissler@gmail.com</a>&gt;<br>
<b>To:</b> Jim Franklin &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jamesf@groupwbench.org"; targe=
t=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">jamesf@groupwbench.org</a>&gt;<br>
<b>Cc:</b> Shop Talk &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:shop-talk@autox.team.net"; target=
=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">shop-talk@autox.team.net</a>&gt;<br>
 may be helpful to you.=C2=A0 BTW, my house is all PVC drains, but I&#39;m =
not sure that matters.
ub (sink).=C2=A0 The floor drain began gurgling when water drained from the=
 other two.=C2=A0 I tried flushing it but that didn&#39;t help.=C2=A0 What =
did help was using some bacteria based drain cleaner.=C2=A0
 It claims to have helpful bacteria that, among other things, eat soap scum=
.=C2=A0 That has worked for many years, except when I flush a lot of harsh =
cleaners down the utility sink.=C2=A0 I used to do some auto part washing i=
n that sink, but don&#39;t any longer and I haven&#39;t
 had to add more bacterial cleaner for a long time.=C2=A0 My thought was th=
e harsh chemicals were killing the bacteria.</div>
 was nothing but a gravity drain and after many years it began backing up o=
ccasionally and then flooding the whole unit with water.=C2=A0 I could disc=
onnect it and blow through it and that was enough
 to clear the clog.=C2=A0 Also using that pipe was a bathroom and the kitch=
en sink/dishwasher.=C2=A0 I tried lots of things (bleach, detergent, bacter=
ial drain cleaners, etc) thinking mold, moss, grease, etc was blocking it, =
but in the end I installed an HVAC sump with
 a pump that collects a quart or so of water and then pumps it out.=C2=A0 T=
hat&#39;s worked flawlessly for a few years --- until the pump breaks.</div=

">bjzwissler@gmail.com</a><br>
Columbus, IN<br>
"mailto:jamesf@groupwbench.org"; target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">jamesf=
@groupwbench.org</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
Maybe some of you have an innovative solution...<br>
My house has a single cast iron soil stack that does both drain and vent. W=
hen I flush the toilet, it sucks air from the tub drain. The toilet and tub=
 enter the stack separately, but at the same height, using an oddly specifi=
c T with a 4&quot; toilet and a 2&quot; tub
 inlet about 45 degrees apart. The tub does not have its own vent. 2 years =
ago I had a plumber snake the vent from the roof, he found &quot;stuff&quot=
;, and it was fixed. Last week it started again.<br>
My kitchen sink T&#39;s into the stack at knee height, so it&#39;s the high=
est item on the stack. My thought is, because it&#39;s a straight T, not a =
sanitary T, stuff from the sink is solidifying inside the T when the flow h=
its the back of the T, and eventually forming
 a cap of &quot;stuff&quot; just above the T entry, sealing off any venting=
. I can&#39;t tell if the sink is also being used as the toilet&#39;s vent =
because there are too many walls in the way to hear what&#39;s happening.
My other thought is that the &quot;stuff&quot; is growing like a mold, and =
sealing it off. Does stuff grow in drains?
Any thoughts on what it might be, and how to prevent it? I rarely put oils =
down the drain, and when I do they are cold and mixed with Dawn to emulsify=
 it. There isn&#39;t enough canopy for leaves or squirrels to get in the ro=
of vent.
thanks,<br>
jim<br>
rrer">Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a><br>
errer" target=3D"_blank">
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk"; rel=3D"norefer=
rer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">
http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a href=3D"http://autox.team.ne=
t/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">
http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
alk/bjzwissler@gmail.com" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/bjzwissler@gmail.com</a><br=

rrer">Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a><br>