Re: [Shop-talk] Looking to buy a compressor

To: Darrell Walker <darrellw360@mac.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Looking to buy a compressor
From: old dirtbeard <dirtbeard@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2020 08:08:41 -0700
Cc: ShopTalk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>

--000000000000a6b28705acc3acd4

Hi Darrell,

Copper tubing with compression fittings should be fine. It will work
harden, but it should not break. The air gets hot enough to melt solder (I
had that happen).

You do not need a water trap or drain here, the water will be vaporized and
end up in the tank.

Also, you will want to isolate the cooler from the fan guard if the guard
is plastic, of course.

best,

doug

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 7:59 AM Darrell Walker <darrellw360@mac.com> wrote:

> OK, I will submit to the wisdom of the list and mount the radiator betwee=
> the pump and tank  :)
>
> I will wait until I know the compressor is running fine, though it will b=
> a mostly bolt-on installation and can be undone.
>
> Since I already have the transmission cooler, I=E2=80=99m going to use th=
at, and
> mount it on the fan guard cage, so that some of the air from the fan will
> be pulled through the radiator. I know this will increase the temperature
> of the air that then goes to cool the pump, so I=E2=80=99ll keep an eye o=
n that.

> The question I have is what to use for plumbing.  Since there could be
> some movement between the compressor cage and the rest of the compressor,
> should I use a hose instead of copper tubing (I=E2=80=99m thinking it mig=
ht
> work-harden then break due to the vibration).
>
> If I do need hose, I=E2=80=99m looking at some PTFE, stainless braid cove=
red fuel
> line.  It is rated for 2500 PSI working pressure, 8000 PSI burst pressure=
,
> and 450F temp, so it would seem up to the job.
>
> I will also mount a water trap with an automatic drain between the
> radiator and the tank, and since that will all be upstream of the unloade=
> valve, it will drain each time the compressor cycles off.  I=E2=80=99ve f=
ound two
> kinds of traps, one that is basically a container that would go on the en=
> of a drip leg, and one that all the air passes through.  Any thoughts if
> one would be more effective than the other?  It would seem like passing a=
ll
> the air through would be better, as some water could make the bend with a
> drip leg.
>
> Thanks,
> Darrell
>
> PS Sorry if this gets posted twice, I sent it the first time from the
> wrong email account

--000000000000a6b28705acc3acd4

ing with compression fittings should be fine. It will work harden, but it s=
hould not break. The air gets hot enough to melt solder (I had that happen)=
so, you will want to isolate the cooler from the fan guard if the guard is =
mail_attr">On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 7:59 AM Darrell Walker &lt;<a href=3D"ma=
kquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:=
1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><br>
OK, I will submit to the wisdom of the list and mount the radiator between =
the pump and tank=C2=A0 :)<br>
I will wait until I know the compressor is running fine, though it will be =
a mostly bolt-on installation and can be undone.<br>
Since I already have the transmission cooler, I=E2=80=99m going to use that=
, and mount it on the fan guard cage, so that some of the air from the fan =
will be pulled through the radiator. I know this will increase the temperat=
ure of the air that then goes to cool the pump, so I=E2=80=99ll keep an eye=
 on that.<br>
The question I have is what to use for plumbing.=C2=A0 Since there could be=
 some movement between the compressor cage and the rest of the compressor, =
should I use a hose instead of copper tubing (I=E2=80=99m thinking it might=
 work-harden then break due to the vibration).<br>
If I do need hose, I=E2=80=99m looking at some PTFE, stainless braid covere=
d fuel line.=C2=A0 It is rated for 2500 PSI working pressure, 8000 PSI burs=
t pressure, and 450F temp, so it would seem up to the job.<br>
I will also mount a water trap with an automatic drain between the radiator=
 and the tank, and since that will all be upstream of the unloader valve, i=
t will drain each time the compressor cycles off.=C2=A0 I=E2=80=99ve found =
two kinds of traps, one that is basically a container that would go on the =
end of a drip leg, and one that all the air passes through.=C2=A0 Any thoug=
hts if one would be more effective than the other?=C2=A0 It would seem like=
 passing all the air through would be better, as some water could make the =
bend with a drip leg.<br>
Thanks,<br>
Darrell<br>
PS Sorry if this gets posted twice, I sent it the first time from the wrong=
 email account<br>
ox.team.net</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk"; rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a href=