Re: [Shop-talk] M*th%&$#c<ing small engines d*mn again

To: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] M*th%&$#c<ing small engines d*mn again
From: Scott Hall <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2020 20:27:30 -0500

--00000000000048f2df05ac67c062

Update for those of you sadistic-enough to keep reading: the intake valve
was...loose? Open? The gap was too wide.

The spec is .003 to .006 intake and exhaust - my smallest feeler is .006. I
adjusted it to be tight on .006.

The hard start is totally fixed. Starts great now.

Still won't accelerate. Opening the throttle bogs it and it'll die if you
don't let off. Curing the starting issue seems to have thrown the bogging
issue into starker relief.

Exhaust can is clear. Gas is new. Air filter is clean and freshly oiled and
removing it entirely changes nothing.

I am unfamiliar with valves making something not run--my experience is
either on Ford V-8s or a Triumph 1147 I-4, or Honda or Kawasaki SS
motorcycle engines, none of which ever had issues with the valves. This
thing's valves are literally just adjusted with a 5/16" nut--there's no
locking nut. Is it possible that making the intake or exhaust valve tighter
or looser could cause something like this? Like should I shoot for one end
of the spec of another?

Last thing left would be the coil like Tom suggested. There's no mention of
it in the owners manual and I don't see it in a parts search so far, but I
started with Amazon.

Seriously. I have built--from rusty blocks--a Ford 289 and 390. A Triumph
1147 that came in several Tupperware bins. More rebuilds of CBR600 and
ZX750 engines than I like to think about.

A leaf blower engine is threatening to best me. I want to back over it with
the truck just to make it disappear. I think I'm looking for moral support
here.

Worn cylinder or piston? Bad valve entirely? I could dig out a compression
tester, but there's no spec for it in the manual anyway. I'm kinda at a
loss here.

On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 7:40 PM Tom Coradeschi <tjcora@icloud.com> wrote:

> I had a leaf blower stop running a few years back due to a bad ignition
> coil. Have you verified you=E2=80=99ve got spark? I don=E2=80=99t see tha=
t specifically
> mentioned (yes, you did mention the spark plug)
>
> =E2=80=94
> Tom Coradeschi
> tjcora@icloud.com
>

> > On 05 Aug 2020, at 5:09 PM, Scott Hall <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > The carb is getting fuel. I can see it in the fuel lines and it pumps
> using the primer bulb.
> >
> > The symptoms are identical with the old and new carb. I can't see the
> end of the fuel line but the only remaining fuel issue could be that the
> new fuel filter (a pumice stone-like thing on the end of the fuel line)
> could be restrictive. Working against that theory is that it did the same
> thing with the old fuel filter.
> >
> > I don't think the problem is the fuel system. The problem is...what's
> left? I swapped the spark plug just to do it.
> >
> > It's a four-cycle engine. Might the valves (like the intake and exhaust
> valves in the head) come out of adjustment? This condition has been
> developing over more than a year...perhaps the valves are slowly coming o=
ut
> of adjustment?
> >
> > I don't know what conditions un-adjusted valves cause. I can't think of
> what else it could be.
> >
> > On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 3:23 PM <alfuller194@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Can you confirm whether it is actually getting fuel to the carb? Try
> starting it with ether/carb cleaner/gasoline directly to the carb?
> >

> > ----------------
> >
> > All the best,
> >

> > Al Fuller

ll won&#39;t accelerate. Opening the throttle bogs it and it&#39;ll die if =
you don&#39;t let off. Curing the starting issue seems to have thrown the b=
lear. Gas is new. Air filter is clean and freshly oiled and removing it ent=
 making something not run--my experience is either on Ford V-8s or a Triump=
h 1147 I-4, or Honda or Kawasaki SS motorcycle engines, none of which ever =
had issues with the valves. This thing&#39;s valves are literally just adju=
sted with a 5/16&quot; nut--there&#39;s no locking nut. Is it possible that=
 making the intake or exhaust valve tighter or looser could cause something=
 like this? Like should I shoot for one end of the spec of another?</div><d=
re&#39;s no mention of it in the owners manual and I don&#39;t see it in a =
div>Seriously. I have built--from rusty blocks--a Ford 289 and 390. A Trium=
ph 1147 that came in several Tupperware bins. More rebuilds of CBR600 and Z=
ower engine is threatening to best me. I want to back over it with the truc=
k just to make it disappear. I think I&#39;m looking for moral support here=
ould dig out a compression tester, but there&#39;s no spec for it in the ma=
il_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 7:40=
 PM Tom Coradeschi &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:tjcora@icloud.com";>tjcora@icloud.c=
n:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex=
">I had a leaf blower stop running a few years back due to a bad ignition c=
oil. Have you verified you=E2=80=99ve got spark? I don=E2=80=99t see that s=
pecifically mentioned (yes, you did mention the spark plug)<br>
=E2=80=94<br>
Tom Coradeschi<br>
&gt; On 05 Aug 2020, at 5:09 PM, Scott Hall &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:scott.hal=
l.personal@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">scott.hall.personal@gmail.com</a>&g=
t; wrote:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; The carb is getting fuel. I can see it in the fuel lines and it pumps =
using the primer bulb. <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; The symptoms are identical with the old and new carb. I can&#39;t see =
the end of the fuel line but the only remaining fuel issue could be that th=
e new fuel filter (a pumice stone-like thing on the end of the fuel line) c=
ould be restrictive. Working against that theory is that it did the same th=
ing with the old fuel filter. <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I don&#39;t think the problem is the fuel system. The problem is...wha=
t&#39;s left? I swapped the spark plug just to do it. <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; It&#39;s a four-cycle engine. Might the valves (like the intake and ex=
haust valves in the head) come out of adjustment? This condition has been d=
eveloping over more than a year...perhaps the valves are slowly coming out =
of adjustment?<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I don&#39;t know what conditions un-adjusted valves cause. I can&#39;t=
 think of what else it could be.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 3:23 PM &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:alfuller194@gmail=
.com" target=3D"_blank">alfuller194@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; Can you confirm whether it is actually getting fuel to the carb? Try s=
tarting it with ether/carb cleaner/gasoline directly to the carb?<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;=C2=A0 <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; ----------------<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; All the best,<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;=C2=A0 <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Al Fuller<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;=C2=A0 <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; From: Shop-talk &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:shop-talk-bounces@autox.team.net=
" target=3D"_blank">shop-talk-bounces@autox.team.net</a>&gt; On Behalf Of S=
cott Hall<br>
&gt; Sent: Wednesday, August 5, 2020 4:06 PM<br>
&gt; To: <a href=3D"mailto:Shop-talk@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank">Shop=
-talk@autox.team.net</a><br>
&gt; Subject: [Shop-talk] M*th%&amp;$#c&lt;ing small engines d*mn again<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;=C2=A0 <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Troy Bilt four-stroke backpack leaf blower.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;=C2=A0 <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Replaced the carb and plug.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;=C2=A0 <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; No change in symptoms: hard start, choke useless, engine bogs on appli=
cation of throttle.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;=C2=A0 <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; That sounds like fuel/air to me. That&#39;s the carb. The carb and plu=
g are brand new. The old carb and plug look fine and it&#39;s doing the sam=
e thing. The carb isn&#39;t the problem.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;=C2=A0 <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I am literally out of ideas. Any idea what to look at next before I ju=
st toss it?<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;=C2=A0 <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Thanks and (*&amp;^*&amp;%&amp;#()_#@&amp;*$&amp;#^&amp;^%.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;=C2=A0 <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Scott<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <a href=3D"mailto:Shop-talk@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank">Shop-tal=
k@autox.team.net</a><br>
&gt; Donate: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; rel=3D"noreferrer"=
 target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
&gt; Suggested annual donation=C2=A0 $12.96<br>
&gt; Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk"; rel=3D"no=
referrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank"=
>http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>