[Shop-talk] websites question and plastic automotive body clips rant

To: Shop-talk@autox.team.net type=4; name=$KeepSent
Subject: [Shop-talk] websites question and plastic automotive body clips rant
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 08:43:08 -0400 06/16/2020 08:43:09 AM, Serialize complete at 06/16/2020 08:43:09 AM
--===============2014546509671830260==

--=_alternative 0045DE6285258589_=

Hello all,

QUESTION-
I just finished an extensive 6 week restore of a 2003 F350 with a large
dump bed.  For a work truck, it looks awesome!  I wanted to share some of
the photos and story on a web page, I was hoping that someone knows of a
good format for the web page (or template) for a project like this.  I
don't want to just have a web page that is a mile long to scroll down, nor
do I want a 100 clicks to see the content.  Anyone know of a website were
someone put together a good looking page to describe a project like this?
I run my own web server, so I don't need a space like wix to host it, and
I'm not above 'borrowing' code.  8>)

RANT-
What is the deal with these plastic body clips?  I mean, I understand that
they are cheap and help assemble cars fast, I'm on board with that. But
why do they need a million different types for 2 basic functions in only
about 3 sizes?  Seriously, I was trying to replace the broken clips on
this truck, and it's a nightmare! Flipping through well designed books at
the local NAPA, I saw that almost all these clips are 1 of maybe 2 or 3
sizes.  They ether hold 2 pieces together in a straight through fashion,
or they are for a blind install. I ended up just buying a bunch of what
they had lying around and using whatever one fit and it was fine. My only
guess is that each auto company "patents" their clips so no one else can
use them. I think I'm going to make a 'universal' clip and stop this
nonsense. It does make me long for the older cars with screws!  RANT OFF.

Mule

Waldo Emerson
-Who is John Galt?
--=_alternative 0045DE6285258589_=

restore of a 2003 F350 with a large dump bed. &nbsp;For a work truck, it
looks awesome! &nbsp;I wanted to share some of the photos and story on
a web page, I was hoping that someone knows of a good format for the web
page (or template) for a project like this. &nbsp;I don't want to just
have a web page that is a mile long to scroll down, nor do I want a 100
clicks to see the content. &nbsp;Anyone know of a website were someone
put together a good looking page to describe a project like this? I run
my own web server, so I don't need a space like wix to host it, and I'm
not above 'borrowing' code. &nbsp;8&gt;)</font>
body clips? &nbsp;I mean, I understand that they are cheap and help assemble
cars fast, I'm on board with that. But why do they need a million different
types for 2 basic functions in only about 3 sizes? &nbsp;Seriously, I was
trying to replace the broken clips on this truck, and it's a nightmare!
Flipping through well designed books at the local NAPA, I saw that almost
all these clips are 1 of maybe 2 or 3 sizes. &nbsp;They ether hold 2 pieces
together in a straight through fashion, or they are for a blind install.
I ended up just buying a bunch of what they had lying around and using
whatever one fit and it was fine. My only guess is that each auto company
&quot;patents&quot; their clips so no one else can use them. I think I'm
going to make a 'universal' clip and stop this nonsense. It does make me
long for the older cars with screws! &nbsp;RANT OFF.</font>
&quot;Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.&quot; Ralph
Waldo Emerson <br>
-Who is John Galt?</font>

--===============2014546509671830260==--