Re: [Shop-talk] Trailer clean-up and paint

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Trailer clean-up and paint
From: Bob Spidell via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 11:03:36 -0700

--------------355CFFCB94F1F53041AD720C

I've used Permatex 'Rust Treatment' a couple times and had good results:

*https://tinyurl.com/y7z78aew

*As an experiment, I treated a wheelbarrow with surface rust with it (no
sanding or wire-brushing).  It goes on clear then turns the rusty parts
black, which indicates to me there is actual chemical conversion.  I
then painted it with the usual enamel rattle-can paint. After 20 years
or so outside the paint is faded but there is no rust.  I'm a believer.

Recently, I 'restored' my late father's fire hydrant--someone gave it to
him, I think because he was restoring a fire engine--which had several
coats of paint and considerable rust. I spent an hour or so with a wire
wheel on a 4.5" grinder to get it down to (mostly) bare metal, but with
some rust remaining.  I painted it with RustOleum rust converter paint
which came out like black paint but was about half the cost of the
Permatex; it took more paint to cover it.  My guess is it's just black
paint with some rust treatment additives, but it's just a guess.

Bob

**
On 5/10/2020 10:34 AM, Ronnie Day via Shop-talk wrote:
> I'm cleaning up and rebuilding a locally built, wood decked utility
> trailer. Typical angle iron/tube frame construction. The original
> paint is worn, a lot, and there's considerable surface rust. I took it
> to the quarter car wash and cleaned it up as best I could.
>
> I'm not inclined to have the whole thing media blasted so the plan is,
> doing a section at a time, to use wire brushes and a detail sander to
> remove as much of the loose paint as I can, and then hit that area
> with rattle can primer/paint to "seal/convert" the rust I can't get
> off, then move to the next section.
>
> Realizing there are products out there that supposedly work like
> magic, what actually does a decent job? I'm looking for durability and
> protection, not a car show finish.
>
> RD

--------------355CFFCB94F1F53041AD720C

  <head>
  </head>
    I've used Permatex 'Rust Treatment' a couple times and had good
    results:<br>
    <b><a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="https://tinyurl.com/y7z78aew";>https://tinyurl.com/y7z78aew</a><br>
    </b>As an experiment, I treated a wheelbarrow with surface rust with
    it (no sanding or wire-brushing).  It goes on clear then turns the
    rusty parts black, which indicates to me there is actual chemical
    conversion.  I then painted it with the usual enamel rattle-can
    paint. After 20 years or so outside the paint is faded but there is
    no rust.  I'm a believer.  <br>
    Recently, I 'restored' my late father's fire hydrant--someone gave
    it to him, I think because he was restoring a fire engine--which had
    several coats of paint and considerable rust. I spent an hour or so
    with a wire wheel on a 4.5" grinder to get it down to (mostly) bare
    metal, but with some rust remaining.  I painted it with RustOleum
    rust converter paint which came out like black paint but was about
    half the cost of the Permatex; it took more paint to cover it.  My
    guess is it's just black paint with some rust treatment additives,
    but it's just a guess.<br>
    Bob<br>
      Shop-talk wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAMHhs6csTS8AWUOr=_JXrYFODNM8pPcqnHPXyNpszQmT8nEgnQ@mail.gmail.com">
        wood decked utility trailer. Typical angle iron/tube frame
        construction. The original paint is worn, a lot, and there's
        considerable surface rust. I took it to the quarter car wash and
        cleaned it up as best I could.
          the plan is, doing a section at a time, to use wire brushes
          and a detail sander to remove as much of the loose paint as I
          can, and then hit that area with rattle can primer/paint to
          "seal/convert" the rust I can't get off, then move to the next
          section.</div>
          like magic, what actually does a decent job? I'm looking for
          durability and protection, not a car show finish.</div>

--------------355CFFCB94F1F53041AD720C--

--===============2202758985861201516==

--===============2202758985861201516==--