Re: [Shop-talk] Float chargers

To: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Float chargers
From: Jeff Scarbrough via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2020 11:50:47 -0400

--0000000000008fad6405a2b559dd

Sounds like it may have partial bridging of the plates, causing a drain
internally.  In the olden days, there were simple ways to check...I don't
know what you do now - take it to the FLAPS and let them put it on
the machine?

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 10:34 AM Jimmie Mayfield via Shop-talk <
shop-talk@autox.team.net> wrote:

> The recent discussion about solar-powered float chargers has reminded me
> of an issue that I've yet to understand or resolve...
>
> I have a Battery Minder 12248 (12V 2/4/8A) charger/de-sulfator with
> temperature compensation sensor.  While I've never been able to
> appreciably restore a dead UPS battery using the de-sulfation mode, it
> seems to work fine as a slow charger.  It has several modes -- gel-cell,
> AGM or flooded -- which, near as I can tell, adjusts the threshold
> voltage at which the charger switches from bulk-charge mode to
> float-charge/de-sulfation mode.
>
> Every 12V battery that I've ever connected to the charger, even the old
> AGM batteries taken out of my UPS units, eventually reached the
> threshold voltage and switched over to float mode (usually within 30-45
> minutes for a nearly-fully-charged battery).  Except one.
>
> About 2 years ago I installed an Interstate battery from Costco (size
> 27F, 890CA, 710CCA) in my truck.  It's a flooded battery and if I
> understand Interstate's spec correctly, its capacity works out to around
> 100Ah.  The battery has a resting voltage of 12.6V so it doesn't appear
> to have any shorted cells and has no trouble starting my truck.  So it
> seems to be a normally healthy battery, right?
>
> Thing is...I've never seen my charger go into float mode when connected
> to this battery even when it was nearly new.  With the recent pandemic
> stay-at-home orders, yesterday I decided to connect my truck to the
> charger to stave off parasitic drain (measured to be 20-30mA) that may
> have accumulated over the past week of inactivity.  I'm currently at 16
> hours (@4A) and it still seems to be in bulk-charging mode.  I have
> difficulty believing that the battery needed 50+ Ah.
>
> So what's going on here?  This is the only battery that I've come across
> that behaves like this.

--0000000000008fad6405a2b559dd

using a drain internally.=C2=A0 In the olden days, there were simple ways t=
o check...I don&#39;t know what you do now - take it to the FLAPS and let t=
dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 10:34 AM Jimmie May=
field via Shop-talk &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:shop-talk@autox.team.net";>shop-ta=
 style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);p=
adding-left:1ex">The recent discussion about solar-powered float chargers h=
as reminded me <br>
of an issue that I&#39;ve yet to understand or resolve...<br>
I have a Battery Minder 12248 (12V 2/4/8A) charger/de-sulfator with <br>
temperature compensation sensor.=C2=A0 While I&#39;ve never been able to <b=
r>
appreciably restore a dead UPS battery using the de-sulfation mode, it <br>
seems to work fine as a slow charger.=C2=A0 It has several modes -- gel-cel=
l, <br>
AGM or flooded -- which, near as I can tell, adjusts the threshold <br>
voltage at which the charger switches from bulk-charge mode to <br>
float-charge/de-sulfation mode.<br>
Every 12V battery that I&#39;ve ever connected to the charger, even the old=
AGM batteries taken out of my UPS units, eventually reached the <br>
threshold voltage and switched over to float mode (usually within 30-45 <br=

minutes for a nearly-fully-charged battery).=C2=A0 Except one.<br>
About 2 years ago I installed an Interstate battery from Costco (size <br>
27F, 890CA, 710CCA) in my truck.=C2=A0 It&#39;s a flooded battery and if I =
understand Interstate&#39;s spec correctly, its capacity works out to aroun=
d <br>
100Ah.=C2=A0 The battery has a resting voltage of 12.6V so it doesn&#39;t a=
ppear <br>
to have any shorted cells and has no trouble starting my truck.=C2=A0 So it=
seems to be a normally healthy battery, right?<br>
Thing is...I&#39;ve never seen my charger go into float mode when connected=
to this battery even when it was nearly new.=C2=A0 With the recent pandemic=
stay-at-home orders, yesterday I decided to connect my truck to the <br>
charger to stave off parasitic drain (measured to be 20-30mA) that may <br>
have accumulated over the past week of inactivity.=C2=A0 I&#39;m currently =
at 16 <br>
hours (@4A) and it still seems to be in bulk-charging mode.=C2=A0 I have <b=
r>
difficulty believing that the battery needed 50+ Ah.<br>
So what&#39;s going on here?=C2=A0 This is the only battery that I&#39;ve c=
ome across <br>
that behaves like this.<br>
ox.team.net</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk"; rel=3D"norefer=