Re: [Shop-talk] OT flash drives

To: Shop-Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>, Scott Hall <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] OT flash drives
From: Peter Murray via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2020 17:28:30 -0400

--000000000000bbfb8e05a0c3257b

Scott-

Look at Hybrid Backup Sync on your QNAP for automatic backup capability.
I'd look at a combination of local USB drive
as a backup destination, as well as BackBlaze B2 (also via HBS). They're
one of the least expensive cloud storage
providers out there, and they've been excellent for me thus far.

I have a QNAP TS-873 at home, and I really like it. It is an investment,
but it just works, and doesn't require constant
fiddling to keep it working, unlike my 1986 BMW R80RT.

-Peter

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 2:41 PM Scott Hall via Shop-talk <
shop-talk@autox.team.net> wrote:

> I think I'm a late adopter and certainly not as sophisticated as I'd like,
> but I bought and finally put drives in a QNAP 3-bay NAS (networked attached
> storage). It's using RAID5 so it can tolerate one drive failure without
> losing the data. I'm now looking for an online backup for that, my thought
> being that even if the NAS dies I'll have it backed up as well.
>
> The issue I'm having is that the NAS holds 8TB of files and cloud backup
> of 8TB is expensive. Or more expensive than I thought it would be, anyway.
>
> For 512 GB, I'd think you could get a NAS with RAID6 (I think, Google it
> and don't listen to me) that tolerates two drive failures and a cheap
> online backup system. I'd sleep pretty well with that setup. And 512GB HDDs
> are downright cheap any more.
>
> The thing I bought says it'll auto-backup stuff from independent machines.
> Or rather, I assume you install a utility on the individual computers and
> schedule backups. Seems pretty nifty, even if I don't plan on using it.
>
> Scott
>
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 7:26 AM Tim . via Shop-talk <
> shop-talk@autox.team.net> wrote:
>
>> Sending this inquiry to you all since I know there are more than a few IT
>> guys in this group.....
>>
>> I bought three 512GB flash drives for archiving here at work. One locked
>> up in each of our offices and one for me to add to files as necessary as
>> files are amended. They have approximately 450GB on them.
>>
>> One of the three failed as soon as I finished filling it. I bought a
>> different brand and made a replacement copy for the safe in our Madison
>> office. A second, the same brand as the first one that failed is locked up
>> in our MKE office and will also be replaced now because the third one (the
>> one that has amended archived files) is also failing. I am having a hard
>> time retrieving the amended files before this drive takes a final crap on
>> me. It took over 15 hours to pull one 87MB file from the dying drive. I
>> can't even attempt to pull more than one file at a time. Not that this
>> should matter, but the files are mixed word, pdf, saved outlook emails and
>> miscellaneous audio or video files and possibly other items.
>>
>> What I am wondering/hoping is that someone might know of a solution to
>> this nearly impossible retrieval process. Or am I just screwed here?
>>
>> Next year we will be storing everything in the cloud so I won't have to
>> deal with this PITA process.
>>
>> Thanks
>> tim

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/peterwmurray@gmail.com

--000000000000bbfb8e05a0c3257b

ur QNAP for automatic backup capability. I&#39;d look at a combination=C2=
=A0of local USB drive<div>as a backup destination, as well as BackBlaze B2 =
(also via HBS). They&#39;re one of the least expensive cloud storage</div><=
div>providers out there, and they&#39;ve been excellent for me thus far.=C2=
e it. It is an investment, but it just works, and doesn&#39;t require const=
div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 2:41 PM Scott =
Hall via Shop-talk &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:shop-talk@autox.team.net"; target=
ass=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid=
 rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr">I think I&#39;m a late=
 adopter and certainly not as sophisticated as I&#39;d like, but I bought a=
nd finally put drives in a QNAP 3-bay NAS (networked attached storage). It&=
#39;s using RAID5 so it can tolerate one drive failure without losing the d=
ata. I&#39;m now looking for an online backup for that, my thought being th=
div>The issue I&#39;m having is that the NAS holds 8TB of files and cloud b=
ackup of 8TB is expensive. Or more expensive than I thought it would be, an=
S with RAID6 (I think, Google it and don&#39;t listen to me) that tolerates=
 two drive failures and a cheap online backup system. I&#39;d sleep pretty =
well with that setup. And 512GB HDDs are downright cheap any more.</div><di=
ndependent machines. Or rather, I assume you install a utility on the indiv=
idual computers and schedule backups. Seems pretty nifty, even if I don&#39=
_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 7:26 =
AM Tim . via Shop-talk &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:shop-talk@autox.team.net"; targ=
class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px sol=
id rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">

:rgb(0,0,0)">
Sending this inquiry to you all since I know there are more than a few IT g=
uys in this group.....</div>
:rgb(0,0,0)">
:rgb(0,0,0)">
I bought three 512GB flash drives for archiving here at work. One locked up=
 in each of our offices and one for me to add to files as necessary as file=
s are amended. They have approximately 450GB on them.</div>
:rgb(0,0,0)">
:rgb(0,0,0)">
One of the three failed as soon as I finished filling it. I bought a differ=
ent brand and made a replacement copy for the safe in our Madison office. A=
 second, the same brand as the first one that failed is locked up in our MK=
E office and will also be replaced
 now because the third one (the one that has amended archived files) is als=
o failing. I am having a hard time retrieving the amended files before this=
 drive takes a final crap on me. It took over 15 hours to pull one 87MB fil=
e from the dying drive. I can&#39;t
 even attempt to pull more than one file at a time. Not that this should ma=
tter, but the files are mixed word, pdf, saved outlook emails and miscellan=
eous audio or video files and possibly other items.=C2=A0</div>
:rgb(0,0,0)">
:rgb(0,0,0)">
What I am wondering/hoping is that someone might know of a solution to this=
 nearly impossible retrieval process. Or am I just screwed here?=C2=A0</div=

:rgb(0,0,0)">
:rgb(0,0,0)">
Next year we will be storing everything in the cloud so I won&#39;t have to=
 deal with this PITA process.=C2=A0</div>
:rgb(0,0,0)">
:rgb(0,0,0)">
Thanks</div>
:rgb(0,0,0)">