Re: [Shop-talk] Making a door thinner

To: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org> definitions=2019-12-22_02:, , signatures=0 malwarescore=0 phishscore=0 bulkscore=0 spamscore=0 clxscore=1015 mlxscore=0 mlxlogscore=999 adultscore=0 classifier=spam adjust=0 reason=mlx scancount=1 engine=8.0.1-1908290000 definitions=main-1912220139
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Making a door thinner
From: Pat Horne via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2019 09:08:00 -0600
Cc: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Most large cabinet shops have wide belt sanders. The biggest problem I see in
using one is that you would be sanding across the grain on the rails. The grit
on those sanders is usually 120 at best so you will probably have a lot of
handwork to do. Good idea though.

As to using a belt sander, there are framed available that bolt to the sander
that make it much better for this kind of work. Iâ??ve seen some about 2â??
square.

I needed to flatten a 60â?? wide cypress stump slab & just used a belt sander &
straight edge to find what needed taking down. Took awhile but did the job.

Pat Horne
We support Habitat for Humanity

> On Dec 22, 2019, at 8:58 AM, Jim Franklin via Shop-talk
> <shop-talk@autox.team.net> wrote:

I took a cabinetmaking class at a state university and they had a giant belt
sander that was set up like a planer. Maybe ask around the local
colleges/votechs?

I would not attenpt it with a hand planer, I think that's too inaccurate a tool
for surfaces wider than the planer.

jim