Re: [Shop-talk] Plug for 14/2 solid wire?

To: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Plug for 14/2 solid wire?
From: Brian Kemp via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2019 13:22:08 -0800
Cc: Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=dk12062016; d=earthlink.net; b=f6wBzIqQRWRqYchIgZEZ3fPmDwz1PSwqDT+GVi68xB4NgU7RzwwPO0RaXziDCE8n9+3gcQMW893E9h4F6jerbtrYLoc3BXGyHrMOP+c5hybVduqItOKpzHSKlu32ajxBMeapGPrqtfLgMnmo9lLLLF5x1ETu3+NwsDZiQEmI8X0qOrS1c6KbwLNmzUVwHlQawYxZaDoPmifGi6hIXChIXsAXNtmAqtyzMR4KZtjvt6zk7MpUx7Yahm8/Kvl1vsQtgDxhXU9md5IrVm6XM8AJ4Yi9fZuetHaQeBCuocah86bICc6QlUQZ6O/cPoH5atQqSrWU2pXB4f8bxWIWr1fKmg==; h=Received:Subject:To:Cc:References:From:Message-ID:Date:User-Agent:MIME-Version:In-Reply-To:Content-Type:Content-Language:X-ELNK-Trace:X-Originating-IP;

--------------886D7F34377E4DD74D4BA576

Jim - Here are two sample single gang timers.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-15-Amp-In-Wall-3-Way-Daylight-Adjusting-Digital-Timer-Switch-with-Screw-Terminals-White-32648/300524126

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Honeywell-7-Day-Programmable-Timer-Switch-for-Lights-and-Motors-RPLS730B1000-U/206311889

Also, you might want to check about Romex in conduit.  I don't think you
can do that according to code, except for short sections open at both
ends.  I think the issue is possible heat buildup and the thermal rating
of the wire insulation.

Brian

On 11/10/2019 12:59 PM, Jim Franklin via Shop-talk wrote:
> I should have prefaced that I know what "right" is, and it's just not gonna
> happen for various reasons. There will be proper boxes where the fixture
> wiring connects to the Romex, at least. It's the other end that's the issue.
>
> A quick Google doesn't find any direct-wire single-gang switches with
> built-in timers, which would be neat. Do you know of any? There's an ugly
> floodlight already switched that I'd like to remove, and if I can repurpose
> the wiring to that into a junction box with the new light wiring, and replace
> the switch with a timered switch, that would be quite close to "right".
>
> Heck, I might even get excited enough to buy some rigid conduit for the Romex
> instead of leaving it exposed :-)
>
> jim
>
>> On Nov 10, 2019, at 3:44 PM, Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net> wrote:
>>
>> Jim,
>>
>> If these are regular wall mounted lights, they should be wired directly into
>> a box.  You should add a line from power source to a switch and then to the
>> lights.  All of this should be done within the walls, ceiling, etc of the
>> building, or in conduit if mounted on the surface.  The switch you use can
>> incorporate a timer if desired.  There should be no plugs involved, and no
>> lamp cord.  Of course you can rig up anything you want and make the lights
>> come on, but it won't be proper or safe like that.  Is this intended to be a
>> permanent installation?  If it is, do it right.
>>
>> -Steve
>>
>> At 03:00 PM 11/10/2019, Jim Franklin via Shop-talk wrote:
>>> I'm addinng external carriage lights and have a 50' roll of 14/2 Romex I'd
>>> like to use up, not to mention 50' of 14/2 stranded is almost $1/ft.
>>>
>>> I'd like to have the lights on a timer. I have outlets in the garage, and I
>>> happen to have a mechanical timer that you'd use for a livingroom lamp, etc.
>>>
>>> Can I use a regular add-on plug that you'd normally use with stranded wire
>>> and just attach the Romex to it? Are there plugs made for solid wire?
>>>
>>> I could always use the Romex to extend the circuit to near the carriage
>>> lights and install an outlet for the timer and buy short lamp cord, but
>>> that means a trip to the store. That might turn out to be the most
>>> time/cost/safety efficient method, but if I don't have to get into the car
>>> AGAIN...
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> jim

--------------886D7F34377E4DD74D4BA576

  <head>
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
    Jim - Here are two sample single gang timers. <br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="https://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-15-Amp-In-Wall-3-Way-Daylight-Adjusting-Digital-Timer-Switch-with-Screw-Terminals-White-32648/300524126";>https://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-15-Amp-In-Wall-3-Way-Daylight-Adjusting-Digital-Timer-Switch-with-Screw-Terminals-White-32648/300524126</a><br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="https://www.homedepot.com/p/Honeywell-7-Day-Programmable-Timer-Switch-for-Lights-and-Motors-RPLS730B1000-U/206311889";>https://www.homedepot.com/p/Honeywell-7-Day-Programmable-Timer-Switch-for-Lights-and-Motors-RPLS730B1000-U/206311889</a><br>
    Also, you might want to check about Romex in conduit.  I don't think
    you can do that according to code, except for short sections open at
    both ends.  I think the issue is possible heat buildup and the
    thermal rating of the wire insulation.<br>
    Brian<br>
      via Shop-talk wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:A4A3F3E3-00E7-4C84-8F87-1D0CAC5C2690@groupwbench.org">
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">I should have prefaced that I know
what "right" is, and it's just not gonna happen for various reasons. There will
be proper boxes where the fixture wiring connects to the Romex, at least. It's
the other end that's the issue.

A quick Google doesn't find any direct-wire single-gang switches with built-in
timers, which would be neat. Do you know of any? There's an ugly floodlight
already switched that I'd like to remove, and if I can repurpose the wiring to
that into a junction box with the new light wiring, and replace the switch with
a timered switch, that would be quite close to "right".

Heck, I might even get excited enough to buy some rigid conduit for the Romex
instead of leaving it exposed :-)

jim

</pre>
        <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">On Nov 10, 2019, at 3:44 PM, Steven
Trovato <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:strovato@optonline.net";>&lt;strovato@optonline.net&gt;</a> wrote:

Jim,

If these are regular wall mounted lights, they should be wired directly into a
box.  You should add a line from power source to a switch and then to the
lights.  All of this should be done within the walls, ceiling, etc of the
building, or in conduit if mounted on the surface.  The switch you use can
incorporate a timer if desired.  There should be no plugs involved, and no lamp
cord.  Of course you can rig up anything you want and make the lights come on,
but it won't be proper or safe like that.  Is this intended to be a permanent
installation?  If it is, do it right.

-Steve

          <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">I'm addinng external carriage
[...]

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Shop-talk@autox.team.net";>Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a>
href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a>
 <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"