Re: [Shop-talk] Plug for 14/2 solid wire?

To: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org> definitions=2019-11-10_06:, , signatures=0 malwarescore=0 phishscore=0 bulkscore=0 spamscore=0 clxscore=1015 mlxscore=0 mlxlogscore=866 adultscore=0 classifier=spam adjust=0 reason=mlx scancount=1 engine=8.0.1-1908290000 definitions=main-1911100206
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Plug for 14/2 solid wire?
From: Pat Horne via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2019 14:36:31 -0600
Cc: Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Jim,

> If you are not going to be plugging & unplugging the wire, just go ahead &
> use a regular plug. The better way to do it is to use a short piece of
> stranded cord that is attached to the Rolex. The problem with connecting the
> romex directly to the plug is that the solid wire will break with flexing. If
> it were me, Iâ??d go ahead & connect the romex to the plug temporarily, then
> pick up a Piece of stranded & a junction box when convenient.

Pat Horne
We support Habitat for Humanity

> On Nov 10, 2019, at 2:00 PM, Jim Franklin via Shop-talk
> <shop-talk@autox.team.net> wrote:

I'm addinng external carriage lights and have a 50' roll of 14/2 Romex I'd
like to use up, not to mention 50' of 14/2 stranded is almost $1/ft.

I'd like to have the lights on a timer. I have outlets in the garage, and I
happen to have a mechanical timer that you'd use for a livingroom lamp, etc.

Can I use a regular add-on plug that you'd normally use with stranded wire and
just attach the Romex to it? Are there plugs made for solid wire?

I could always use the Romex to extend the circuit to near the carriage lights
and install an outlet for the timer and buy short lamp cord, but that means a
trip to the store. That might turn out to be the most time/cost/safety
efficient method, but if I don't have to get into the car AGAIN...

thanks,

Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/patintexas@icloud.com