[Shop-talk] tire balancing

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] tire balancing
From: Steven Trovato via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2019 17:31:23 -0500
Two years ago, I purchased a set of Michelin tires for my Ford
Expedition at BJs.  It was not a great experience, and I don't think
I'd do it again.  The tires do come with a road hazard warranty,
though, and free flat repair.  I got a puncture in the right rear
yesterday, so I ventured down to BJs once again.  The guy there asked
me if it was a front or rear tire.  He said they balance them
differently.  He said it was "statically balanced" but on a machine
that spins it and uses lasers.  I don't know what he is talking
about.  I told him it is a rear tire, but that shouldn't matter,
because it will be a front tire when I rotate them.  He told me I
shouldn't do that.  I have to bring the vehicle to them to rotate and
re-balance.  None of this makes any sense to me.  Have things changed
drastically or is this guy nuts?  I should note that all this stuff
is free when you buy the tires there, so I don't really see any
financial motive for them to want to do this.

-Steve