Re: [Shop-talk] De-coupling overhead door torsion spring

To: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] De-coupling overhead door torsion spring
From: old dirtbeard via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2019 05:43:32 -0700
Cc: shop-talk@autox.team.net

--00000000000027a45a05950678fd

HI Scott,

I am a non-garage door expert, and was able to retention my garage door
springs with no problem. I bought a three foot length of steel rod from
Home Depot, cut it in half, taped up what would be the "handle" portion to
reduce the chance of slippage, used an adjustable wrench on the square head
retaining bolts and was able to do it myself with no problems. I have two
sets of garage doors, and later adjusted the tension of the second door as
it was closing too fast/hard.

Having the bars at the ready allows one to make minor adjustments to the
doors over time as the spring lose tension. I just keep them on the header
beam above the doors so they are there when I need them next time.

There is a good deal of tension on the springs, but if a normal man uses a
degree of care, is standing on a decent ladder, and use both bars
incrementally, sequentially, it is a very quick job to do. I am glad that I
did it myself and now can "fine tune" the adjustment on the doors whenever
necessary.

best,

doug

On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 8:30 PM Brian Kemp via Shop-talk <
shop-talk@autox.team.net> wrote:

> Scott - I'd call a local garage door place for an estimate on the
> springs.  You might find it is very reasonable.  It is tough and you
> need the correct diameter steel rods that will fit the holes nicely.  Do
> not stand where the rod can hit you.  Since you are switching to an
> insulated door, it might be heavier, so you will have to tension the
> door differently.
>
> Installing a door is best as a two person job.  Maybe the installer has
> a guy that can stop by after hours and help you out for a reasonable
> amount.
>
> Brian
>
> On 10/14/2019 8:39 PM, Scott Hall via Shop-talk wrote:
> > Got a new insulated garage door for winter here. Need to remove the
> > old door.
> >

> > Torsion springs seem to be one of those things that drive emergency
> > room visits in real life, not just internet clickbait.
> >

> > Before I just do what Google says, I think I'd like to hear from the
> > real people on a subject like that. Can I somehow un-do the cable ends
> > from the door, or the cables from the springs and then remove the door
> > panels, or do I need to de-tension the torsion spring first?
> >

> > And if I need to de-tension it, what's the best method to avoid
> > smashed skulls or broken limbs?
> >

> > Thanks in advance.
> >

> > Scott

--00000000000027a45a05950678fd

, and was able to retention=C2=A0my garage door springs with no problem. I =
bought a three foot length=C2=A0of steel rod from Home Depot, cut it in hal=
f, taped up what would be the &quot;handle&quot; portion to reduce the chan=
ce of slippage, used an adjustable wrench on the square head retaining bolt=
s and was able to do it myself=C2=A0with no problems. I have two sets of ga=
rage doors, and later adjusted=C2=A0the tension of the second door as it wa=
ady allows one to make minor adjustments to the doors over time as the spri=
ng lose tension. I just keep them on the header beam above the doors so the=
 is a good deal of tension on the springs, but if a normal man uses a degre=
e of care, is standing on a decent ladder, and use both bars incrementally,=
 sequentially, it is a very quick job to do. I am glad that I did it myself=
 and now can &quot;fine tune&quot; the adjustment on the doors whenever nec=
n Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 8:30 PM Brian Kemp via Shop-talk &lt;<a href=3D"mail=
to:shop-talk@autox.team.net">shop-talk@autox.team.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br></d=
iv><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;bord=
er-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">Scott - I&#39;d call a=
 local garage door place for an estimate on the <br>
springs.=C2=A0 You might find it is very reasonable.=C2=A0 It is tough and =
you <br>
need the correct diameter steel rods that will fit the holes nicely.=C2=A0 =
Do <br>
not stand where the rod can hit you.=C2=A0 Since you are switching to an <b=
r>
insulated door, it might be heavier, so you will have to tension the <br>
door differently.<br>
Installing a door is best as a two person job.=C2=A0 Maybe the installer ha=
s <br>
a guy that can stop by after hours and help you out for a reasonable amount=
.<br>
Brian<br>
On 10/14/2019 8:39 PM, Scott Hall via Shop-talk wrote:<br>
&gt; Got a new insulated garage door for winter here. Need to remove the <b=
r>
&gt; old door.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Torsion springs seem to be one of those things that drive emergency <b=
r>
&gt; room visits in real life, not just internet clickbait.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Before I just do what Google says, I think I&#39;d like to hear from t=
he <br>
&gt; real people on a subject like that. Can I somehow un-do the cable ends=
&gt; from the door, or the cables from the springs and then remove the door=
&gt; panels, or do I need to de-tension the torsion spring first?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; And if I need to de-tension it, what&#39;s the best method to avoid <b=
r>
&gt; smashed skulls or broken limbs?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Thanks in advance.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Scott<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"mailto:Shop-talk@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank">Shop-tal=
k@autox.team.net</a><br>
&gt; Donate: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; rel=3D"noreferrer"=
 target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
&gt; Suggested annual donation=C2=A0 $12.96<br>
&gt; Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk"; rel=3D"no=
referrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <br=

&gt; <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D=
"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>