Re: [Shop-talk] Electric String Trimmers

Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Electric String Trimmers
From: old dirtbeard via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2019 08:11:15 -0700
Cc: shop-talk@autox.team.net
References: <041656EE-650B-48B8-83F2-2A9B4805B775@me.com> <a1e09f60-d2ce-bbdc-c658-789685a6d38a@sackheads.org> <CAAoSWGOksJ1gOmvKeSWkp=mH9aEaEoUR_cDsZLGbGs+uoYfzqQ@mail.gmail.com> <2964d014-10fb-d2b2-34e2-476dafb5a837@milleredp.com> <004801d557a6$45fb9180$d1f2b480$@GMail.com> <29fb6ac3-3cf1-da2d-d0b2-1090a16c3080@earthlink.net> <007b01d55c19$679e8f00$36dbad00$@GMail.com> <c33f6a06-871b-166c-43b8-7749ca659223@comcast.net>
--===============3471220663303889747==

--000000000000eaba0c05910691e2

It probably already has been covered, but I am very satisfied with my Stihl
corded string trimmer, but I only have one acre.

I did run/bury 110 AC to a few locations to make it more convenient, but I
am battery-free now for yard work (blower, trimmer, hedger, even a corded
mower, but I still prefer the gas mower).

On Mon, Aug 26, 2019, 7:59 AM Bob Spidell via Shop-talk <
shop-talk@autox.team.net> wrote:

> [...]
> some hassle I buy 89-octane only, but you're not doing an engine that
> can run on 87 any favors by using higher octane (goes for auto engines
> as well).
>
> Bob
>

> On 8/26/2019 7:20 AM, Karl Vacek via Shop-talk wrote:
> > Brian, you're right.  THANK YOU !!!  Tru-Fuel seems to be the real
> deal.  And I've been scoffing at canned gasoline sold for wine prices.
> >
> > I've brought aviation unleaded home from the airport and added Sta-Bil
> for all the 4-cycle lawn equipment (lawn tractor, mower, snow blower) for a
> couple of years.  Runs much better, though to be honest the tractor doesn't
> care what gas is in it or how old.  17.5 HP Kohler, about 1999.  I don't
> need Tru-Fuel for the 4-cycle stuff.
> >
> > I've recently been mixing that same gas with high-quality chemical
> lubricant for the 2-cycle stuff and it's seemed mostly OK.  For sure better
> than pump gas (gasohol only here).  With pump gas every new batch of fuel
> requires carb adjustments.  And I had a can of starting fluid sitting
> around for decades, unused.  Now I seem to use starting fluid every month
> or two.
> >
> > My (1970) Echo blower hadn't run in years.  Probably a fuel issue.  That
> was why I tried the EGO blower.  When the EGO wasn't up to the taks, I
> bought a diaphragm kit for the old Echo's carb and put it in.  Filled the
> tank with Tru-Fuel and a couple of pulls and it runs.  That ancient Kioritz
> engine is still strong.  And it blows far stronger than that top-model EGO
> battery toy.
> >
> > Little 2-cycle equipment uses so little fuel that there's nothing to
> save even at $6 a quart for Tru-Fuel.  It works.  No more mixing for me.
> >
> > I may even buy a gas string trimmer now.  Not sure if Echo is still what
> it was though -- I got screwed on an Echo ES-230 vacuum/shredder/mulcher
> some years back because of the warning about using only 89+ octane fuel
> less than 90 days old.  Where is that warning?  In a paragraph on page 17
> of the manual, after pages of lawyer advice about not licking the muffler
> while the engine is running.  Who reads that?
> >
> > My "Pro" Echo dealer told me NOTHING other than to buy Echo oil - and I
> bought a case from him along with the ES-230.  When the engine overheated I
> took it back to him and he said it was fine, just use it.  It ran less than
> 45 minutes more and finally shot fire out of the head gasket.  Then he
> refused to even ask Echo to warrantee it.  Bottom line, I got a lemon from
> a lemon of a dealer.  I called Echo and they gave me a short block as long
> as I had (another) dealer install it.  And it's still running.  That huge
> landscaper supply dealer has a sign in his service area about the Echo fuel
> requirement.
> >
> > I shipped the EGO electric blower back - not sure how much that
> experiment will cost me, but it wasn't worth it.  I'm an engine guy.

fied with my Stihl corded string trimmer, but I only have one acre.<div dir=
ons to make it more convenient, but I am battery-free now for yard work (bl=
ower, trimmer, hedger, even a corded mower, but I still prefer the gas mowe=
il_attr">On Mon, Aug 26, 2019, 7:59 AM Bob Spidell via Shop-talk &lt;<a hre=
f=3D"mailto:shop-talk@autox.team.net";>shop-talk@autox.team.net</a>&gt; wrot=
e:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;bo=
rder-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Well, there is no &#39;aviation =
unleaded&#39; fuel.=C2=A0 Airports that support <br>
General Aviation--aka &#39;small planes&#39;--usually offer 100LL, for <br>
100-octane &#39;Low Lead.&#39;=C2=A0 &#39;Low Lead&#39; is relative; it has=
 approximately <br>
one-third less tetra-ethyl lead than the previous de facto standard <br>
110-octane avgas (I think it&#39;s 2 grams/gal for LL vs. 3grams/gal for th=
e <br>
110; may be liters instead of gallons).=C2=A0 Put it in a clear container, =
it <br>
should be pale blue in color; the 110 I believe was red/orange-colored, <br=

but I never saw it anywhere in my 30 years or so of piloting and owning <br=

light aircraft.<br>
Some aircraft, typically with relatively low-power (less than 200HP) <br>
engines, can run on automotive gas, but the aircraft MUST have Technical <b=
r>
Service Bulletin (&#39;TSB&#39;) approval from the FAA--which can cost a co=
uple <br>
thousand dollars--and their owners have to follow strict fueling <br>
procedures. These include assuring the fuel has no contaminants--I <br>
believe ethanol is considered a &#39;contaminant&#39;--and the Reid Vapor <=
br>
Pressure (&#39;RVP&#39;) must fall in an acceptable range. Some airports, <=
br>
precious few I think, do offer acceptable auto gas, but for most it&#39;s <=
br>
too much trouble to support for=C2=A0 the small number of aircraft that can=
use it, and the liability is large.<br>
The FAA and industry is trying to come up with an unleaded aircraft <br>
fuel, but it&#39;s been a years-long process and we&#39;re still a couple/f=
ew <br>
years out, and it may never happen.=C2=A0 I&#39;m a Commercial licensed pil=
ot, <br>
but haven&#39;t flown in a few years but keep up on the industry.=C2=A0 I t=
hink <br>
Shell and GAMI are the only two contenders last I checked.<br>
I&#39;ve gone all pedantic on you because, if you&#39;re getting avgas from=
 a <br>
pump on the field it&#39;s likely 100LL--should say so on the truck or pump=
island--but don&#39;t be fooled; it&#39;s loaded with lead and if you&#39;r=
e <br>
breathing the exhaust fumes you are harming your health.=C2=A0 All the <br>
gas-engined equipment I have save one will run fine on 87-octane; the <br>
4-stroke Stilh string trimmer I have requires 89-octane (didn&#39;t know <b=
r>
that before I bought it).=C2=A0 I keep my fuel in 5-gal cans, so to avoid <=
br>
some hassle I buy 89-octane only, but you&#39;re not doing an engine that <=
br>
can run on 87 any favors by using higher octane (goes for auto engines <br>
as well).<br>
Bob<br>
On 8/26/2019 7:20 AM, Karl Vacek via Shop-talk wrote:<br>
&gt; Brian, you&#39;re right.=C2=A0 THANK YOU !!!=C2=A0 Tru-Fuel seems to b=
e the real deal.=C2=A0 And I&#39;ve been scoffing at canned gasoline sold f=
or wine prices.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I&#39;ve brought aviation unleaded home from the airport and added Sta=
-Bil for all the 4-cycle lawn equipment (lawn tractor, mower, snow blower) =
for a couple of years.=C2=A0 Runs much better, though to be honest the trac=
tor doesn&#39;t care what gas is in it or how old.=C2=A0 17.5 HP Kohler, ab=
out 1999.=C2=A0 I don&#39;t need Tru-Fuel for the 4-cycle stuff.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I&#39;ve recently been mixing that same gas with high-quality chemical=
 lubricant for the 2-cycle stuff and it&#39;s seemed mostly OK.=C2=A0 For s=
ure better than pump gas (gasohol only here).=C2=A0 With pump gas every new=
 batch of fuel requires carb adjustments.=C2=A0 And I had a can of starting=
 fluid sitting around for decades, unused.=C2=A0 Now I seem to use starting=
 fluid every month or two.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; My (1970) Echo blower hadn&#39;t run in years.=C2=A0 Probably a fuel i=
ssue.=C2=A0 That was why I tried the EGO blower.=C2=A0 When the EGO wasn&#3=
9;t up to the taks, I bought a diaphragm kit for the old Echo&#39;s carb an=
d put it in.=C2=A0 Filled the tank with Tru-Fuel and a couple of pulls and =
it runs.=C2=A0 That ancient Kioritz engine is still strong.=C2=A0 And it bl=
ows far stronger than that top-model EGO battery toy.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Little 2-cycle equipment uses so little fuel that there&#39;s nothing =
to save even at $6 a quart for Tru-Fuel.=C2=A0 It works.=C2=A0 No more mixi=
ng for me.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I may even buy a gas string trimmer now.=C2=A0 Not sure if Echo is sti=
ll what it was though -- I got screwed on an Echo ES-230 vacuum/shredder/mu=
lcher some years back because of the warning about using only 89+ octane fu=
el less than 90 days old.=C2=A0 Where is that warning?=C2=A0 In a paragraph=
 on page 17 of the manual, after pages of lawyer advice about not licking t=
he muffler while the engine is running.=C2=A0 Who reads that?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; My &quot;Pro&quot; Echo dealer told me NOTHING other than to buy Echo =
oil - and I bought a case from him along with the ES-230.=C2=A0 When the en=
gine overheated I took it back to him and he said it was fine, just use it.=
=C2=A0 It ran less than 45 minutes more and finally shot fire out of the he=
ad gasket.=C2=A0 Then he refused to even ask Echo to warrantee it.=C2=A0 Bo=
ttom line, I got a lemon from a lemon of a dealer.=C2=A0 I called Echo and =
they gave me a short block as long as I had (another) dealer install it.=C2=
=A0 And it&#39;s still running.=C2=A0 That huge landscaper supply dealer ha=
s a sign in his service area about the Echo fuel requirement.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I shipped the EGO electric blower back - not sure how much that experi=
ment will cost me, but it wasn&#39;t worth it.=C2=A0 I&#39;m an engine guy.=
&gt;<br>
&gt; Thanks to all !!!<br>
&gt; Karl<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; -----Original Message-----<br>
&gt; From: Brian Kemp [mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:bk13@earthlink.net"; target=
=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">bk13@earthlink.net</a>]<br>
&gt; Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Electric String Trimmers<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Regarding your &quot;lower hassle factor&quot; comment, if you stay ga=
s, give the<br>
&gt; canned fuel like Tru-Fuel a try.=C2=A0 My blower, string trimmer, and =
chain<br>
&gt; saw always start right up, even after months or 2 years for the chain<=
br>
&gt; saw.=C2=A0 Yes it costs more, but it makes it super easy not having to=
 keep<br>
&gt; fresh gas, especially with the mess they have in California.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I had problems starting my Echo string trimmer and went back to the<br=

&gt; dealer and the first thing they wanted to blame was my gas.=C2=A0 I sa=
id that<br>
&gt; I never used anything other than Tru-Fuel and he became super helpful.=
&gt; Turns out I shouldn&#39;t have followed the starting directions as wri=
tten<br>
&gt; and was flooding the engine.=C2=A0 No problems in the 6 years since an=
d it<br>
&gt; gets worked very hard 4-5 times a year.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; My previous string trimmer was a Ryobi and when the engine died at 3<b=
r>
&gt; years and 2 month, all the service places blamed my gas and said to ju=
st<br>
&gt; toss it.=C2=A0 Have not bought a Ryobi product since and never will.=
=C2=A0 The<br>
&gt; semi-pro Echo is far superior.=C2=A0 Especially like the easy loading =
string<br>
&gt; in the Speed-Feed head - Just take a 20&#39; length of .095 line, stic=
k it<br>
&gt; through the hole and twist the head to wind it up.=C2=A0 No more tryin=
g to<br>
&gt; wrap a spool then install it in the head. This alone is worth most of<=
br>
&gt; the price difference from a home center product to a real outdoor<br>
&gt; products dealer.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Also like my Sthil low noise backpack blower.=C2=A0 I have a corded el=
ectric<br>
&gt; Toro, but it seems louder and has much less power.=C2=A0 It too always=
 starts<br>
&gt; right up on Tru-Fuel.=C2=A0 When I use it, I&#39;m running it 30-45 mi=
nutes.<br>
&gt; Could never expect a battery product to work for me.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Battery products may work for some, but for my situation, I don&#39;t<=
br>
&gt; consider them an option and I have zero issues with gas products since=
 I<br>
&gt; stopped mixing with pump gas.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Brian<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; On 8/20/2019 3:26 PM, Karl Vacek via Shop-talk wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt; Related topic.=C2=A0 I recently went through this consideration (s=
till don&#39;t have a new string trimmer or edger) and became convinced tha=
t the EGO stuff was the best.=C2=A0 Based on reviews and videos - never tou=
ched one till I ordered it.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; I started with their biggest blower, which came with the 5-AH batt=
ery and a charger.=C2=A0 It&#39;s fine, I guess, but unless you push the &q=
uot;Turbo&quot; button it&#39;s not close to the power of my=C2=A0 50 year =
old Echo gas blower.=C2=A0 A fast clean-up after mowing, using full trigger=
 but not any time in Turbo mode, and I&#39;m down to half battery.=C2=A0 If=
 it was leaf season I&#39;d be taking a 1-1/2 hour break every 45 minutes.=
=C2=A0 And I swear it slows down as the battery runs down, though maybe tha=
t&#39;s just my disappointment kicking in.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; It was an Amazon purchase and it&#39;s going back.=C2=A0 Now I&#39=
;m not sure the lower hassle factor of a battery tool is worth it.=C2=A0 I =
still need a string trimmer and an edger.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Going to the Stihl dealer next, and probably resigning myself to p=
utting up with 2-cycle engines for a while more.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; _______________________________________________<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; <a href=3D"mailto:Shop-talk@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank" rel=
=3D"noreferrer">Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a><br>
&gt;&gt; Donate: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; rel=3D"norefer=
rer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
&gt;&gt; Suggested annual donation=C2=A0 $12.96<br>
&gt;&gt; Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk"; rel=
=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/=
shop-talk</a> <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer n=
oreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Unsubscribe/Manage: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/optio=
ns/shop-talk/bk13@earthlink.net" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_b=
lank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/bk13@earthlink.net</a=
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"mailto:Shop-talk@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"n=
oreferrer">Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a><br>
&gt; Donate: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; rel=3D"noreferrer =
noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
&gt; Suggested annual donation=C2=A0 $12.96<br>
&gt; Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk"; rel=3D"no=
referrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-t=
alk</a> <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>