Re: [Shop-talk] Self contained home security cameras (Ronnie Day)

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net, ronnie.day@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Self contained home security cameras (Ronnie Day)
From: Mark Miller via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2019 20:51:05 -0700
A very good plan.  Be sure they are inconspicuous or they will leave
with your uninvited guest.  There are many USB powered version out there
and they are very inexpensive.
Another option is to get something turnkey that will broadcast the info,
like a Ring doorbell or floodlight.  They upload the video to a server
(costs about $25 a year for the subscription for this) and you can view
it when you want to/need to. Or real time from your phone.  If you get
the doorbell you can talk to whoever is at the door.  Not sure about the
light but the doorbell has internal batteries and can also be hardwired
(either to an existing door bell circuit or with an external
transformer) so you don't have to think about them.

Regards,

Mark Miller   707-490-5834
markmiller@threeboysfarm.com

> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2019 22:54:15 -0500
> From: Ronnie Day<ronnie.day@gmail.com>
> To: Shop-Talk List<shop-talk@autox.team.net>
> Subject: [Shop-talk] Self contained home security cameras
>
> We live in the country on 10 acres. Our nearest neighbors are around a mile
> away. We don't bother to lock the doors unless we're going to be gone at
> least overnight. Someone could bulldoze the house and no one would be
> likely to hear or see it happening. Monitored home security is really a
> non-starter. We're 35 miles from the nearest town that would provide that
> type of service.
>
> I just realized that I could put up small, self contained "game" type
> cameras to cover the front and back doors, hopefully to help ID anyone that
> breaks in, and reinforce any insurance claims. I'm talking battery powered
> or at least battery back-up, motion controlled, using SD cards or some
> other removable memory.
>
> Just started research, but thought tossing it out to the group worth doing.
>
> RD

---