Re: [Shop-talk] Self contained home security cameras

To: Ronnie Day <ronnie.day@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Self contained home security cameras
From: Peter Murray via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2019 15:49:56 -0400
Cc: Shop-Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>

--000000000000d68788058fb47c89

You'll want them to stream to the cloud, if possible. Otherwise, if they're
noticed, they'll be taken, and the footage will leave with them. Consider
Dropcam.

I wouldn't discount something like Simplisafe, which isn't too expensive,
and offers cameras. It'll give you notification of events at the house
(fire alarm, CO alert, water detection, etc) as well as unexpected door
opening, glass break, etc.

-Peter

On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 11:58 PM Ronnie Day via Shop-talk <
shop-talk@autox.team.net> wrote:

> We live in the country on 10 acres. Our nearest neighbors are around a
> mile away. We don't bother to lock the doors unless we're going to be gone
> at least overnight. Someone could bulldoze the house and no one would be
> likely to hear or see it happening. Monitored home security is really a
> non-starter. We're 35 miles from the nearest town that would provide that
> type of service.
>
> I just realized that I could put up small, self contained "game" type
> cameras to cover the front and back doors, hopefully to help ID anyone that
> breaks in, and reinforce any insurance claims. I'm talking battery powered
> or at least battery back-up, motion controlled, using SD cards or some
> other removable memory.
>
> Just started research, but thought tossing it out to the group worth doing.
>
> RD

--000000000000d68788058fb47c89

Otherwise, if they&#39;re noticed, they&#39;ll be taken, and the footage wi=
count something like Simplisafe, which isn&#39;t too expensive, and offers =
cameras. It&#39;ll give you notification of events at the house (fire alarm=
, CO alert, water detection, etc) as well as unexpected door opening, glass=
mail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 11=
:58 PM Ronnie Day via Shop-talk &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:shop-talk@autox.team.=
gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(20=
4,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr">We live in the country on 10 =
acres. Our nearest neighbors are around a mile away. We don&#39;t bother to=
 lock the doors unless we&#39;re going to be gone at least overnight. Someo=
ne could bulldoze the house and no one would be likely to hear or see it ha=
ppening. Monitored home security is really a non-starter. We&#39;re 35 mile=
s from the nearest town that would provide that type of service.=C2=A0<div>=
uot;game&quot; type cameras to cover the front and back doors, hopefully to=
 help ID anyone that breaks in, and reinforce any insurance claims. I&#39;m=
 talking battery powered or at least battery back-up, motion controlled, us=
started research, but thought tossing it out to the group worth doing.</div=
ox.team.net</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk"; rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a href=
=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">htt=