Re: [Shop-talk] Plumbing fun

To: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Plumbing fun
From: Ronnie Day via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2019 20:47:52 -0500
Cc: Shop-Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>

--00000000000069005c058ef05273

We did our small cabin using primarily pex and the sharkbite push to
connect (PTC) connectors. Yes, individually they're expensive, but we spent
way less than a good crimper would've cost, about 3 years ago when I did
the plumbing lines. They also have the advantage of being more easily
changed than with a crimper. Shower, bathroom and kitchen sinks all grouped
together.

I would not buy rolled pex. It's NOT very flexible. The local plumbing
supply had sticks in 10 and 20 foot lengths and I used a simple hand held
cutter. It worked great. There are plenty of adapters and valves to connect
the pex to threaded pipe and fittings. HD and Lowes started carrying more
of the no traditional options since we did our place.

We're on 10 acres not far from Bryan/College Station and use rainwater
collection so the water is filtered probably better than a well without
extra filtering would be. The whole system has worked out very well.

RD

On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 8:17 PM Steven Trovato via Shop-talk <
shop-talk@autox.team.net> wrote:

> There are screens at the inlets where the hoses connect to the back
> of my washing machine.  When I have this problem, I always find a
> bunch of sediment and debris clogging up the screens.  It is easy to
> check and easy to fix.  Invest ten minutes in checking that before
> you start a major project. These are what I'm talking
> about:
> www.amazon.com/Danco-80070-Washers-Screen-Black/dp/B000KKULR2/ref=sr_1_11
>
> -Steve
>
> At 09:01 PM 7/30/2019, Mark J Bradakis via Shop-talk wrote:
>
> >And then, this project has got me thinking.  It might be my cue to
> >buy a roll of PEX, a cutter and a crimper and start using it to fix
> >this problem and the next one on my list, the washing machine.  At
> >the moment when you select a hot water wash, the machine fills up at
> >a rate of about a gallon a day.  Is it just the fill hose being
> >clogged, or the valve, or the pipes feeding it?  Fun fun fun!
> >
> >mjb.
>

> ---

--00000000000069005c058ef05273

te push to connect (PTC) connectors. Yes, individually they&#39;re expensiv=
e, but we spent way less than a good crimper would&#39;ve cost, about 3 yea=
rs ago when I did the plumbing lines. They also have the advantage of being=
 more easily changed than with a crimper. Shower, bathroom and kitchen sink=
39;s NOT very flexible. The local plumbing supply had sticks in 10 and 20 f=
oot lengths and I used a simple hand held cutter. It worked great. There ar=
e plenty of adapters and valves to connect the pex to threaded pipe and fit=
tings. HD and Lowes started carrying more of the no traditional options sin=
Bryan/College Station and use rainwater collection so the water is filtered=
 probably better than a well without extra filtering would be. The whole sy=
e, Jul 30, 2019 at 8:17 PM Steven Trovato via Shop-talk &lt;<a href=3D"mail=
to:shop-talk@autox.team.net">shop-talk@autox.team.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br></d=
iv><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;bord=
er-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">There are screens at t=
he inlets where the hoses connect to the back <br>
of my washing machine.=C2=A0 When I have this problem, I always find a <br>
bunch of sediment and debris clogging up the screens.=C2=A0 It is easy to <=
br>
check and easy to fix.=C2=A0 Invest ten minutes in checking that before <br=

you start a major project. These are what I&#39;m talking <br>
about: <br>
ULR2/ref=3Dsr_1_11" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">www.amazon.com/Dan=
co-80070-Washers-Screen-Black/dp/B000KKULR2/ref=3Dsr_1_11</a><br>
-Steve<br>
At 09:01 PM 7/30/2019, Mark J Bradakis via Shop-talk wrote:<br>
&gt;And then, this project has got me thinking.=C2=A0 It might be my cue to=
&gt;buy a roll of PEX, a cutter and a crimper and start using it to fix <br=

&gt;this problem and the next one on my list, the washing machine.=C2=A0 At=
&gt;the moment when you select a hot water wash, the machine fills up at <b=
r>
&gt;a rate of about a gallon a day.=C2=A0 Is it just the fill hose being <b=
r>
&gt;clogged, or the valve, or the pipes feeding it?=C2=A0 Fun fun fun!<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;mjb.<br>
---<br>
lank">https://www.avast.com/antivirus</a><br>