Re: [Shop-talk] It's hot and I want AC

To: Eric Russell <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] It's hot and I want AC
From: Benjamin Zwissler via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2019 14:33:34 -0400
Cc: Shop-Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>

--00000000000021d5fe058cb6fc54

Thanks for the responses.  To the comment about warranty and professional
installation, there are some units specifically marketed as "DIY" and from
what I can tell they come precharged and the hoses pierce a seal on one of
the units when they're connected.  Not sure if this permitted in all
states, but if they're marketed as DIY that should ensure the warranty is
valid.

Ben....

On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 1:38 PM Eric Russell via Shop-talk <
shop-talk@autox.team.net> wrote:

> I installed a couple of ductless mini-splits a few years ago (one for
> the garage, the other for the bonus room above the garage). At the time
> the local HVAC companies didn't seem to know very much about them and
> wanted what seemed to me an exorbitant fee to install them. When we
> built the garage I had the electrician put a pair of disconnects where I
> planned to place the outside units. So I decided to DIY. The
> installation is quite simple. The outdoor units are bolted down to a
> concrete pad (alternatively they can be mounted on wall brackets), the
> inside units are hung on a metal plate screwed to the wall. There are
> copper pipes connecting the two units (for refrigerant), a drain line
> (for condensate) and some low voltage wires. They come pre-filed with
> refrigerant but once installed I did pay an HVAC technician to vacuum
> the lines and check the refrigerant charge.
>
> I like them very much. I don't run them every day. When I plan to work
> in the garage I press a button, eat breakfast and then the garage is
> cooled (or heated - mini-splits work both ways). They are very efficient
> - our electric bill increased less than $20/month. The heating system
> does lose efficiency when the outside temps are below ~ 30F. Some units
> have a back up electric heating element but that may be an expensive
> heating method.
>
> Eric Russell
> Mebane, NC
>
> On 7/2/2019 12:11 PM, Benjamin Zwissler via Shop-talk wrote:
> > Anyone installed a mini-split AC system in their shop?  It looks like
> > its effective and can save a bunch of money if you do it yourself.

Ben Zwissler
bjzwissler@gmail.com
Columbus, IN

--00000000000021d5fe058cb6fc54

nty and professional installation, there are some units specifically market=
ed as &quot;DIY&quot; and from what I can tell they come precharged and the=
 hoses pierce a seal on one of the units when they&#39;re connected.=C2=A0 =
Not sure if this permitted in all states, but if they&#39;re marketed as DI=
>On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 1:38 PM Eric Russell via Shop-talk &lt;<a href=3D"m=
ailto:shop-talk@autox.team.net">shop-talk@autox.team.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br>=
order-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">I installed a coupl=
e of ductless mini-splits a few years ago (one for <br>
the garage, the other for the bonus room above the garage). At the time <br=

the local HVAC companies didn&#39;t seem to know very much about them and <=
br>
wanted what seemed to me an exorbitant fee to install them. When we <br>
built the garage I had the electrician put a pair of disconnects where I <b=
r>
planned to place the outside units. So I decided to DIY. The <br>
installation is quite simple. The outdoor units are bolted down to a <br>
concrete pad (alternatively they can be mounted on wall brackets), the <br>
inside units are hung on a metal plate screwed to the wall. There are <br>
copper pipes connecting the two units (for refrigerant), a drain line <br>
(for condensate) and some low voltage wires. They come pre-filed with <br>
refrigerant but once installed I did pay an HVAC technician to vacuum <br>
the lines and check the refrigerant charge.<br>
I like them very much. I don&#39;t run them every day. When I plan to work =
in the garage I press a button, eat breakfast and then the garage is <br>
cooled (or heated - mini-splits work both ways). They are very efficient <b=
r>
- our electric bill increased less than $20/month. The heating system <br>
does lose efficiency when the outside temps are below ~ 30F. Some units <br=

have a back up electric heating element but that may be an expensive <br>
heating method.<br>
Eric Russell<br>
Mebane, NC<br>
On 7/2/2019 12:11 PM, Benjamin Zwissler via Shop-talk wrote:<br>
&gt; Anyone installed a mini-split AC system in their shop?=C2=A0 It looks =
like <br>
&gt; its effective and can save a bunch of money if you do it yourself.<br>
ox.team.net</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk"; rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a href=
=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">htt=