Re: [Shop-talk] It's hot and I want AC

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] It's hot and I want AC
From: Eric Russell via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2019 13:37:56 -0400
X_cmae_category: , , a=I0wsP0/ub+0M/VQyKFHlEA==:117 a=I0wsP0/ub+0M/VQyKFHlEA==:17 a=jpOVt7BSZ2e4Z31A5e1TngXxSK0=:19 a=KGjhK52YXX0A:10 a=IkcTkHD0fZMA:10 a=0o9FgrsRnhwA:10 a=KlU2pWyFyn8A:10 a=eQrCS-SpgXYA:10 a=RNv9Xgww_a0TwOhASHQA:9 a=QEXdDO2ut3YA:10
I installed a couple of ductless mini-splits a few years ago (one for
the garage, the other for the bonus room above the garage). At the time
the local HVAC companies didn't seem to know very much about them and
wanted what seemed to me an exorbitant fee to install them. When we
built the garage I had the electrician put a pair of disconnects where I
planned to place the outside units. So I decided to DIY. The
installation is quite simple. The outdoor units are bolted down to a
concrete pad (alternatively they can be mounted on wall brackets), the
inside units are hung on a metal plate screwed to the wall. There are
copper pipes connecting the two units (for refrigerant), a drain line
(for condensate) and some low voltage wires. They come pre-filed with
refrigerant but once installed I did pay an HVAC technician to vacuum
the lines and check the refrigerant charge.

I like them very much. I don't run them every day. When I plan to work
in the garage I press a button, eat breakfast and then the garage is
cooled (or heated - mini-splits work both ways). They are very efficient
- our electric bill increased less than $20/month. The heating system
does lose efficiency when the outside temps are below ~ 30F. Some units
have a back up electric heating element but that may be an expensive
heating method.

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC