Re: [Shop-talk] adding to a 4-way switch circuit.

To: john niolon <jniolon@att.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] adding to a 4-way switch circuit.
From: Jeff Scarbrough via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2019 19:52:27 -0400
Cc: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Wire it as four 4-way switches, with a DPDT relay switched by the
light output of the garage door operator.  Look about halfway down
this page:
https://www.do-it-yourself-help.com/4-way-switch-wiring-diagrams.html
 Of course, that will switch the lights off if they are on when you
open the door, and switch them off after the opener times out.  You
might be able to add a latching relay to hold them in position until
you use one of the wall switches...but that might not yet be complex
enough.

You might be better off adding a couple of general light fixtures
controlled by the opener.  Then they provide light if there is none,
or add to the light if they are already on.

Or use an Arduino mini or similar to look for switch inputs from each
switch plus the operator, and drive a relay to turn the lights on or
off.  Low-voltage wiring for the switches, so easy...  Then you can
program the lights to do any number of combinations...