Re: [Shop-talk] Outdoor metal halide lights...it's not the bulbs

To: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Outdoor metal halide lights...it's not the bulbs
From: Scott Hall via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2019 09:25:52 -0500

--00000000000064a2000584c3c023

Yeah, they'll stay on all day if you let them. Right side is on now.

On Sat, Mar 23, 2019, 9:23 AM Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net wrote:

> [...]
> a period of time.  After which they revert to the photo cell.
>
> Brian
>
> On 3/22/2019 9:35 PM, Scott Hall via Shop-talk wrote:
> > To summarize thus far:
> >

> > It wasn't the bulbs. Those lights, and some other stuff in the
> > backyard are controlled by their own breaker box...in the basement
> > storage area, behind a shelf, behind the HVAC system...that I found
> > when I was re-lighting a water heater pilot.
> >

> > *Then* one of the light switches literally on the other side of the
> > house has to be switched, and those fixtures light. I can't imagine
> > why that switch is where it is, but both fixtures lit. They do not
> > seem to be motion-sensitive. You just go down a flight of steps,
> > across the house, into the storage area, and remove the built-in
> > shelving some idiot built in front of the box, then the light switch
> > even farther back in that room can be used to turn on those lights.
> > Imagine my delight. I just thought the pool bulb was burned out, and I
> > didn't even know those rocks had lights under them. Neato.
> >

> > I left them on for a few hours, admiring how the backyard looked
> > suspiciously like a baseball stadium and wondering what the previous
> > owner was doing back there. Maybe literally playing baseball. God
> > knows you wouldn't have any visibility issues.
> >

> > Turned off the lights, went to bed. Next day, the left roof fixture
> > won't light. Well now it's a mission from God.
> >

> > Excellent suggestion made here was taken, 42-foot extension ladder
> > rented, bulb swapped. It's not the bulb. Or at least the bulb I bought
> > looks exactly like the bulb that came out and is rated at 400 watts,
> > which is what the old bulb and the fixture says. The old bulb does not
> > appear damaged. Perhaps there's a fuse or breaker in this thing.
> > Before I disassemble the fixture, the hive mind will be consulted.
> >

> > The fixture's front cover unscrews and flips open. Under it is this
> > (well, this below the bulb housing):
> >

> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DEe84KmqUuxmO5A2mRlRWYdK1pR3Qidj/view?usp=sharing
> >

> > The sticker on the left side looks like a wiring diagram:
> >

> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M7q_VBTcsc88Or6MxjO5Achscw-P-mn4/view?usp=sharing
> >

> > Might those things in the lower left quadrant be fuses? There is
> > another metal plate cover under that sticker under which could live
> > something user-serviceable. But before I start screwing with stuff 40
> > feet in the air, you know, I should at least ask. Or offer to video it.
> >

> > Any thoughts welcome. Thanks.
> >

> > (I think that ladder is the very definition of 'attractive nuisance'.
> > I have to return it tomorrow morning, but oh the things I could access
> > if I bought one! So easy to paralyze or maim myself so quickly! Of all
> > the equipment I've rented, this may be the one thing I'm not
> > completely sure they should let homeowners have access to. It's the
> > first thing I've done that I found myself actually thinking, "this
> > could go very bad, very quickly, if I'm not very careful.")

"ltr">On Sat, Mar 23, 2019, 9:23 AM Brian Kemp &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bk13@e=
mail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-l=
eft:1ex">There might be a photo cell somewhere to also help control the lig=
hts so <br>
they only come on at night.=C2=A0 Did you test it the next day when it was =
dark?<br>
Some photo controlled lights, when they first get power will come on for <b=
r>
a period of time.=C2=A0 After which they revert to the photo cell.<br>
Brian<br>
On 3/22/2019 9:35 PM, Scott Hall via Shop-talk wrote:<br>
&gt; To summarize thus far:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; It wasn&#39;t the bulbs. Those lights, and some other stuff in the <br=

&gt; backyard are controlled by their own breaker box...in the basement <br=

&gt; storage area, behind a shelf, behind the HVAC system...that I found <b=
r>
&gt; when I was re-lighting a water heater pilot.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; *Then* one of the light switches literally on the other side of the <b=
r>
&gt; house has to be switched, and those fixtures light. I can&#39;t imagin=
e <br>
&gt; why that switch is where it is, but both fixtures lit. They do not <br=

&gt; seem to be motion-sensitive. You just go down a flight of steps, <br>
&gt; across the house, into the storage area, and remove the built-in <br>
&gt; shelving some idiot built in front of the box, then the light switch <=
br>
&gt; even farther back in that room can be used to turn on those lights. <b=
r>
&gt; Imagine my delight. I just thought the pool bulb was burned out, and I=
&gt; didn&#39;t even know those rocks had lights under them. Neato.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I left them on for a few hours, admiring how the backyard looked <br>
&gt; suspiciously like a baseball stadium and wondering what the previous <=
br>
&gt; owner was doing back there. Maybe literally playing baseball. God <br>
&gt; knows you wouldn&#39;t have any visibility issues.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Turned off the lights, went to bed. Next day, the left roof fixture <b=
r>
&gt; won&#39;t light. Well now it&#39;s a mission from God.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Excellent suggestion made here was taken, 42-foot extension ladder <br=

&gt; rented, bulb swapped. It&#39;s not the bulb. Or at least the bulb I bo=
ught <br>
&gt; looks exactly like the bulb that came out and is rated at 400 watts, <=
br>
&gt; which is what the old bulb and the fixture says. The old bulb does not=
&gt; appear damaged. Perhaps there&#39;s a fuse or breaker in this thing. <=
br>
&gt; Before I disassemble the fixture, the hive mind will be consulted.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; The fixture&#39;s front cover unscrews and flips open. Under it is thi=
s <br>
&gt; (well, this below the bulb housing):<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DEe84KmqUuxmO5A2mRlRWYdK1p=
R3Qidj/view?usp=3Dsharing" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">=
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DEe84KmqUuxmO5A2mRlRWYdK1pR3Qidj/view?usp=
=3Dsharing</a> <br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; The sticker on the left side looks like a wiring diagram:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M7q_VBTcsc88Or6MxjO5Achscw=
-P-mn4/view?usp=3Dsharing" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">=
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M7q_VBTcsc88Or6MxjO5Achscw-P-mn4/view?usp=
=3Dsharing</a> <br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Might those things in the lower left quadrant be fuses? There is <br>
&gt; another metal plate cover under that sticker under which could live <b=
r>
&gt; something user-serviceable. But before I start screwing with stuff 40 =
&gt; feet in the air, you know, I should at least ask. Or offer to video it=
.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Any thoughts welcome. Thanks.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; (I think that ladder is the very definition of &#39;attractive nuisanc=
e&#39;. <br>
&gt; I have to return it tomorrow morning, but oh the things I could access=
&gt; if I bought one! So easy to paralyze or maim myself so quickly! Of all=
&gt; the equipment I&#39;ve rented, this may be the one thing I&#39;m not <=
br>
&gt; completely sure they should let homeowners have access to. It&#39;s th=
e <br>
&gt; first thing I&#39;ve done that I found myself actually thinking, &quot=
;this <br>
&gt; could go very bad, very quickly, if I&#39;m not very careful.&quot;)<b=
r>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"mailto:Shop-talk@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"n=
oreferrer">Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a><br>
&gt; Donate: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; rel=3D"noreferrer =
noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
&gt; Suggested annual donation=C2=A0 $12.96<br>
&gt; Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk"; rel=3D"no=
referrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-t=
alk</a><br>
&gt;<br>