[Shop-talk] [OT] Computer History/Bill Godbout

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] [OT] Computer History/Bill Godbout
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2018 08:46:25 -0800
Came across this today.  I think there's a few computer 'nuts' on this
list who might be interested.

I hadn't heard about Godbout, but knew of the Homebrew Computer Club
which, allegedly,  met at a dive bar called the Oasis In Palo
Alto--which has probably been torn down for yet another highrise luxury
condo building--and I believe Jobs and Wozniak were members.   I got
into computers after this 'first wave,' but the S-100 bus was still
popular (I didn't know much about it).   Side note: I lived for a couple
years across from the Wagon Wheel Restaurant in Mountain View, where the
Fairchild Semiconductor 'traitorous eight' allegedly met to plot their
defection from Fairchild, and a couple blocks from the HQ of Netscape
which, when clobbered by Microsoft engendered the anti-trust suit (which
distracted MS for a couple years but didn't do much to hamper its
monopolistic tendencies).  I also went to school at Chico State and
visited Paradise a few times, so this hits kinda close to home.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/11/18/bill_godbout_obituary/