Re: [Shop-talk] need some copper plumbing help from the gurus

To: john niolon <jniolon@att.net>,shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] need some copper plumbing help from the gurus
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2018 22:10:06 -0400
There's certainly nothing wrong with asking the
shop-talk gurus, but for that sort of situation I
would walk into a plumbing supply store and tell
them what I have and ask for a fitting.  I'm sure
the situation has come up before.  As far as I
know, there hasn't been any major shift in sizes
in the last 25 years.  My house was built in 1985
and fittings I buy work just fine with the
original pipes.  Maybe the coiled tubing is the
problem.  I have never tried connecting regular fittings to that.

-Steve T.

At 01:07 PM 10/20/2018, john niolon wrote:
>When we built my house/shop 25 years ago I had
>the plumber install a 3/4â?? water line to the
>shop and cap it off.  I was going to put in the
>sink and the outside faucet when I got time.  Well,  this week I got time
>
>I cut the cap off and test fitted a 3/4â?? Tee
>to start dry fitting the plumbing for
>sink/faucet.  The Tee wouldnâ??t fit on the
>tubing.  I cleaned it well but the Tee was still
>too small to fit over the tubing.  It looks like
>he used coiled tubing, or at least thatâ??s
>whatâ??s coming up thru the concrete.  I tried
>several fittings and even cut the tubing lower
>to see if it was crimped or out of round...  it
>micâ??d the same all the way around it in several places
>
>I micâ??d the tubing and the fitting and hereâ??s the results
>
>tubing i.d. is  .882â?? which is just over 7/8â??
>tubing o.d. is  .900â??  which is just under 29/32â??
>
>a new standard Tee i.d.is .876â??   which ainâ??t gonna fit over .900
>
>if I can find one fitting to get this to
>standard 3/4â?? size Iâ??m good to go...
>
>did the old stuff differ from todays standard â??
>after researching fittings a little I see that
>there are several â??typesâ?? of fittings....
>from plumbing to hvac to whatever...
>
>anyone wanna try and give me some guidance
>here... the net is confusing and offers little on actual dimensions
>
>thanks
>john

---

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk