Re: [Shop-talk] Tire size/capability question

To: Shop-Talk List <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Tire size/capability question
From: Peter Murray <peterwmurray@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2018 09:42:34 -0400

--000000000000cdcc950577cbe8b3

All-

The passenger tires with which I'm considering replacing the current truck
tires are smaller in every dimension, though not by a great deal, so I
don't think they'd rub. My main objective is to safely get this truck sold
for maximum value for my mother-in-law.

I'll absolutely make clear to whoever buys it that the tires are not for
long-term use, that they're not the right size, and that part of their
refurbishment of the truck (besides lube/oil/filter, coolant flush, a
thorough brake check and a good cleaning of the carb) should be replacement
of the tires with something more appropriate. I would make a terrible used
car salesman, as I won't hide known flaws.

If any of you are interested, let me know! It is practically rust-free,
having lived its entire existence in the arid Southwest.

Thanks very much for your thoughts.  I really appreciate the sage (and
often hard-fought) wisdom shared with me via this list!

-Peter

On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 11:44 PM Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org> wrote:

> The only downside I can think of is that the new tires might hit the
> fenders, either immediately or while turning the steering wheel. Still,
> someone buying this should expect issues like this and just needs to be
> told.
>
> jim
>
> > On Oct 8, 2018, at 4:02 PM, Peter Murray <peterwmurray@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > In cleaning out the garage/shop of my recently-deceased father-in-law, i
> ran across two pairs of P215/70/R15 tires. They're bagged and unmounted,
> and appear to be in similar and reasonable shape (about 50% tread
> remaining).
> >
> > He also had a 1969 Ford F100 pickup that has been sitting for a while.
> The tires are pretty beat and one will not hold air. They're 235/75/R15. I
> got it running while I was out there last week, but with the one rear flat,
> it was tough to evaluate it much. Electrically it appeared solid. I drove
> it about 100 feet, so the clutch, first and reverse all worked fine.
> >
> > I realize they're not quite the same size, but I wonder if I couldn't
> replace the tires currently on the truck with the four unmounted tires. I
> realize they're slightly different in width and circumference, but they're
> pretty doggone close. This isn't going to be used as a hauler. More likely
> my mother-in-law will sell it (sigh), and I figure that having four decent
> and inflated tires gives a better negotiating position than requiring a
> buyer to tow his purchase away...
> >
> > Aside from aesthetics and (slightly) incorrect speedo/odometer, what Bad
> things could potentially come from putting these tires on the truck?
> >
> > Yes, i would probably try to keep it, were it not 2000 miles away (its
> in western Colorado, I'm in northern Virginia) and my 3 young children and
> my self-employment keeping me busy enough.
> >
> > Thanks for all your sage wisdom!
> >
> > -Peter
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/jamesf@groupwbench.org

--000000000000cdcc950577cbe8b3

39;m considering replacing the current truck tires are smaller in every dim=
ension, though not by a great deal, so I don&#39;t think they&#39;d rub. My=
 main objective is to safely get this truck sold for maximum value for my m=
 to whoever buys it that the tires are not for long-term use, that they&#39=
;re not the right size, and that part of their refurbishment of the truck (=
besides lube/oil/filter, coolant flush, a thorough brake check and a good c=
leaning of the carb) should be replacement of the tires with something more=
 appropriate. I would make a terrible used car salesman, as I won&#39;t hid=
e know! It is practically rust-free, having lived its entire existence in t=
 thoughts.=C2=A0=C2=A0I really appreciate the sage (and often hard-fought) =
r">On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 11:44 PM Jim Franklin &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:james=
te class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc so=
lid;padding-left:1ex">The only downside I can think of is that the new tire=
s might hit the fenders, either immediately or while turning the steering w=
heel. Still, someone buying this should expect issues like this and just ne=
eds to be told.<br>
jim<br>
&gt; On Oct 8, 2018, at 4:02 PM, Peter Murray &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:peterwm=
urray@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">peterwmurray@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br=

&gt; <br>
&gt; In cleaning out the garage/shop of my recently-deceased father-in-law,=
 i ran across two pairs of P215/70/R15 tires. They&#39;re bagged and unmoun=
ted, and appear to be in similar and reasonable shape (about 50% tread rema=
ining).<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; He also had a 1969 Ford F100 pickup that has been sitting for a while.=
 The tires are pretty beat and one will not hold air. They&#39;re 235/75/R1=
5. I got it running while I was out there last week, but with the one rear =
flat, it was tough to evaluate it much. Electrically it appeared solid. I d=
rove it about 100 feet, so the clutch, first and reverse all worked fine.<b=
r>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I realize they&#39;re not quite the same size, but I wonder if I could=
n&#39;t replace the tires currently on the truck with the four unmounted ti=
res. I realize they&#39;re slightly different in width and circumference, b=
ut they&#39;re pretty doggone close. This isn&#39;t going to be used as a h=
auler. More likely my mother-in-law will sell it (sigh), and I figure that =
having four decent and inflated tires gives a better negotiating position t=
han requiring a buyer to tow his purchase away...<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Aside from aesthetics and (slightly) incorrect speedo/odometer, what B=
ad things could potentially come from putting these tires on the truck?<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Yes, i would probably try to keep it, were it not 2000 miles away (its=
 in western Colorado, I&#39;m in northern Virginia) and my 3 young children=
 and my self-employment keeping me busy enough.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Thanks for all your sage wisdom!<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; -Peter<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <a href=3D"mailto:Shop-talk@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank">Shop-tal=
k@autox.team.net</a><br>
&gt; Donate: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; rel=3D"noreferrer"=
 target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
&gt; Suggested annual donation=C2=A0 $12.96<br>
&gt; Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk"; rel=3D"no=
referrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a><br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Unsubscribe/Manage: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/s=