Re: [Shop-talk] Question to ponder- When someone brings their vehicle to

To: sentenac.rw@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Question to ponder- When someone brings their vehicle to your garage, do you do the work or do you let them do it?
From: Benjamin Zwissler <bjzwissler@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2018 13:46:23 -0400
Cc: Shop-Talk List <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>

--00000000000093e2af0576511acc

Interesting topic that I have had to spend some time thinking about.  I
agree that's its difficult to determine whether they can be left on their
own, require help, or just need me to do it for them.  I have a few people
I trust to just leave on their own and most of the rest fall into me just
doing it for them.  Not very many fall in the middle of needing limited
help.

I have a lift and a key decision I make is whether the job is realistic for
the time I'm willing to let them stay in my shop.  Many people have
unrealistic expectations of their skills and haven't properly estimated the
parts, tools and time they'll require.  Having a partially repaired car on
my lift or in my shop for days or weeks is something I desperately try to
avoid.  So far I've managed it pretty well, but I've turned
down/discouraged a few people from working in my shop.

Ben....

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 1:18 PM <sentenac.rw@gmail.com> wrote:

> For me, it depends on the task and the person.  Primarily the person
> and whether I know their skills.  Whenever in doubt, do it for them.
>
> -Roland
>
> On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 10:38:59 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >I just wanted to start a little conversation about a question that
> bothers
> >me (albeit very little.)
> >When someone brings their vehicle to your garage, do you do the work or
> do
> >you let them do it?
> >
> >Here is the context, due to my garage, everyone I offer to help brings
> >their vehicles to me to fix.  Once there, I do the work for the most
> part.
> > I enjoy doing it, so it's no big deal.
> >
> >But a few people commented that they expected to do most if not all the
> >work once there.
> >
> >I understand that they may enjoy working on the cars as well, but here is
> >my thought about it...
> >
> >One, since it's my garage, I know where every tools, part, etc is
> located.
> > I know what I have and don't have.  When doing the work, I know what
> >equipment I have will work the best for the situation.
> >Also, I also know where to put everything back when I'm done.
> >
> >This is the fastest and most effective way to do the work in my opinion.
> >
> >I realize that this takes away their ability to learn through first hand
> >experience, but I do include them in the work when possible.
> >
> >So, what is the proper way to handle this?  Is it a "home rule" thing, or
> >a should I step aside and let them do all the work?
> >
> >One more thing, if they are doing the work and break something on their
> >car that requires a trip to the auto parts store, I now have to drive
> them
> >there (this I don't like.)  At least if I break it, I don't mind the trip
> >as much.
> >
> >What's your take?
>
> ---

Ben Zwissler
bjzwissler@gmail.com
Columbus, IN

--00000000000093e2af0576511acc

ing about.=C2=A0 I agree that&#39;s its difficult to determine whether they=
 can be left on their own, require help, or just need me to do it for them.=
=C2=A0 I have a few people I trust to just leave on their own and most of t=
he rest fall into me just doing it for them.=C2=A0 Not very many fall in th=
y decision I make is whether the job is realistic for the time I&#39;m will=
ing to let them stay in my shop.=C2=A0 Many people have unrealistic expecta=
tions of their skills and haven&#39;t properly estimated the parts, tools a=
nd time they&#39;ll require.=C2=A0 Having a partially repaired car on my li=
ft or in my shop for days or weeks is something I desperately try to avoid.=
=C2=A0 So far I&#39;ve managed it pretty well, but I&#39;ve turned down/dis=
 20, 2018 at 1:18 PM &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:sentenac.rw@gmail.com";>sentenac.=
e=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">For me,=
 it depends on the task and the person.=C2=A0 Primarily the person<br>
and whether I know their skills.=C2=A0 Whenever in doubt, do it for them.<b=
r>
-Roland<br>
On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 10:38:59 -0400, you wrote:<br>
&gt;I just wanted to start a little conversation about a question that both=
ers <br>
&gt;me (albeit very little.)<br>
&gt;When someone brings their vehicle to your garage, do you do the work or=
 do <br>
&gt;you let them do it?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Here is the context, due to my garage, everyone I offer to help brings =
&gt;their vehicles to me to fix.=C2=A0 Once there, I do the work for the mo=
st part. <br>
&gt; I enjoy doing it, so it&#39;s no big deal.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;But a few people commented that they expected to do most if not all the=
&gt;work once there.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;I understand that they may enjoy working on the cars as well, but here =
is <br>
&gt;my thought about it...<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;One, since it&#39;s my garage, I know where every tools, part, etc is l=
ocated. <br>
&gt; I know what I have and don&#39;t have.=C2=A0 When doing the work, I kn=
ow what <br>
&gt;equipment I have will work the best for the situation.<br>
&gt;Also, I also know where to put everything back when I&#39;m done.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;This is the fastest and most effective way to do the work in my opinion=
. <br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;I realize that this takes away their ability to learn through first han=
d <br>
&gt;experience, but I do include them in the work when possible.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;So, what is the proper way to handle this?=C2=A0 Is it a &quot;home rul=
e&quot; thing, or <br>
&gt;a should I step aside and let them do all the work?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;One more thing, if they are doing the work and break something on their=
&gt;car that requires a trip to the auto parts store, I now have to drive t=
hem <br>
&gt;there (this I don&#39;t like.)=C2=A0 At least if I break it, I don&#39;=
t mind the trip <br>
&gt;as much.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;What&#39;s your take?<br>
---<br>
lank">https://www.avast.com/antivirus</a><br>
ox.team.net</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk"; rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a><br>
alk/bjzwissler@gmail.com" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox=
.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/bjzwissler@gmail.com</a><br>
 class=3D"gmail_signature" data-smartmail=3D"gmail_signature"><div dir=3D"l=

--00000000000093e2af0576511acc--

--===============8066355939969357548==

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk

--===============8066355939969357548==--