Re: [Shop-talk] Question to ponder- When someone brings their vehicle to

To: eric@megageek.com, "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Question to ponder- When someone brings their vehicle to your garage, do you do the work or do you let them do it?
From: Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2018 12:42:06 -0400
On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 11:11 AM <eric@megageek.com> wrote:

> What's your take?

Of course, Rule # 1 is "It's my garage".

On the few occasions where I've had someone in, it's at a time when we
have all day if necessary, and it's generally people who know which
end of the wrench to hold.  So I'm comfortable teaching them what
parts to bring, the safe way to lift the car and put it on stands, and
how to do the job - they do 90% of the labor while I sit and drink the
beer they brought me.  That way there's never a rush, I get a pleasant
(mostly lazy) afternoon in the garage with friends, and I get to teach
someone something that's useful - the most rewarding part.  The one
time I can recall when parts were needed, I sent the friend off in my
truck to fetch them.  And in return, my truck had more fuel in in when
he came back than it did when he left.

So, the takeaway is:  Make sure you get out of it what you want.
Choose the people you help wisely, or be prepared to learn something
about them.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk