Re: [Shop-talk] Why in the world do we need 'spinning' brake pistons?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Why in the world do we need 'spinning' brake pistons?
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2018 07:24:46 -0700
On 9/13/2018 4:16 PM, Brian Kemp wrote:
> I'm told it is how the parking brake adjusts itself when the pads get
> worn.  The parking brake lever pulls a cable which actuates the rear
> brake calipers.  Discovered the special tool after battling the rear
> brakes on my wife's Jetta.  I borrowed the special tool from the local
> O'Reilly or Pep Boys.

You have three basic approaches out there for a parking brake with rear
discs.  One (common in higher-end German products, trucks, and a few
others) is to put a drum in the hat of the rear rotor.

One (found generally on high-end products - Italian exotics, high-end
Jags, Tesla Model S/X) and some aftermarket kits) is a separate
mechanically-actuated parking-brake caliper.

The third and by far most common is to put a screw-jack mechanism inside
the rear caliper piston.

This is where the retraction tool comes in, and yeah, it's a PITA that
they're all different.

John.

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk

utox.team.net