Re: [Shop-talk] Battery Starter/Charger

To: 1789alpine@gmail.com, patintexas@icloud.com, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Battery Starter/Charger
From: DAVID MASSEY <dave1massey@cs.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2018 08:15:51 -0400

------=_Part_54895_1080818061.1536495351679

 That's a bad assumption.  It is much safer to assume you cannot switch bet=
ween 110 and 220 with a transformer.  Transformers CAN be designed to be sw=
itch between the two voltages using dual primary windings allowing them to =
be configured in either parallel or series.  Many pieces of equipment are s=
o designed and many of those have a switch somewhere allowing the end user =
to select the appropriate voltage.  When using equipment it is a good idea =
to look for this switch and, if found, make sure it is in the correct posit=
ion.

If no such switch is found, check the label.  UL, CSA, CE, VDE and other ap=
proval agencies require a label indicating the input power ratings includin=
g voltage, frequency and power.

Back when I was designing line powered stuff we designed around the voltage=
 range of 90 to 132 (180 - 264) Vac so whether you have 220, 230 or 240 sho=
uld not be an issue for consumer products.  Many electronic devices work ov=
er the range of 90 to 264 volts but this is because of some sophisticated e=
lectronics in the power supply section specifically designed to accommodate=
 this range.

The UK unit, if it is a transformer-based design, most likely is design for=
 the EU market and will not work as advertised on 120 Vac.  The electrical =
requirements are for 230 volts up to 16 amps.  To get the same kick out of =
a 120 volt device would need over 32 amps which is well in excess of the ty=
pical domestic branch circuit and if you are going to run a special circuit=
 you may as well make it a 230 volt circuit.

=20

Dave Massey

=20

=20