Re: [Shop-talk] Radiant heat for garage

To: Shop Talk <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Radiant heat for garage
From: Jim Stone <1789alpine@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 09:04:05 -0400
Thanks guys.  Here is a little more information, including why I like the idea
of radiant heat in the garage:

To start with, we are are in eastern Long Island.  Typical winter temperatures
this past winter, which was unusually mild, have been in the 30-45 degree
range.  This is only my second winter here, but I think a more normal season
would be about 5 degrees less on both ends.

Now, as to why I find radiant heat attractive for the garage, I am currently
working in a shop that has it and have found it really nice.  (It is slightly
off topic, but I have a friend here who is a professional mechanic and he and I
bought two Sunbeam Tigers that we are restoring and plan to sell on.  We are
doing the work in his shop.)  He keeps the shop at 58 degrees and it is very
comfortable working there.  I especially like the fact that lying on the floor
is actually pleasant, as opposed to the normal shock of getting under a car in
the winter.  I would probably leave the temperature around 50 most of the time
(there will be a slop sink in there, so I donâ??t want it to freeze) but might
raise that up a bit when I expect to be working extensively.

Also worth considering is the fact that the front end of the garage will be
occasional living space.  It will be frequent enough that we wonâ??t want to
drain the plumbing in-between uses, so it will have to be kept above freezing
all winter.  While radiant isnâ??t necessarily good for heat that has to go up
and down, it is very good for keeping a space at a constant temperature.  And,
when we do need to raise the temperature, it would probably be kept that way
for several days at least, so we arenâ??t talking about constant ups and downs.

Finally, I should add that I have the benefit of an experienced helper on this
project.  My mechanic partner laid the PEX tubing in his shop himself and has
offered to help me do mine.  However, he did his system more than 10 years ago,
so his knowledge of systems, suppliers and design is a little outdated, hence
this note.  Everything is very expensive out this way, so the savings from
doing this myself should be worth the effort.  (That said, the general
contractor we are working with on this project is very good about advising us
on which projects are worth doing ourselves and I will double-check with him on
this one before committing.)

The space isnâ??t that big (the garage/workshop is 27x24 and the adjacent first
floor living space is 11x24) and designing the tubing loops looks pretty
straight-forward.  My plan is to lay the tubing before the concrete is poured
and then to wait until everything is done to finish it.  There are many
companies who provide the supplies; ideally, Iâ??d like to find one that could
help with design and hand-holding as needed.

As always, thanks!

Jim

p.s.  I have spent some time on Garage Journal looking at their heating
threads.  It has been very helpful but I havenâ??t yet come up with the kind of
recommendations I am looking for here.  And, hearing from someone I â??knowâ??
is always better than reading comments from relative strangers.