Re: [Shop-talk] chainsaw problem

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] chainsaw problem
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 16:54:37 -0400
I'm with Randall on this.  Whenever this has happened to me, it has
been a hydrolock like he said.  I bet the carburetor is messed up and
it is allowing too much fuel to pour into the cylinder.  Try
completely emptying the fuel from the saw. when you remove the plug,
tip it over and see if anything at all drips out.  I'm betting that a
couple of repetitions of removing the plug and clearing the cylinder
will end the lockup, because it can't hydrolock without any
fluid.  Then when you put fuel in, it will lock again, unless you fix
the carb.  BTW, my experience is with 2-cycle engines with the oil
mixed in the gas.  Emptying the tank means no fuel, no oil so no
hydrolock.   If this is a 4-cycle engine, there might be some
differences I'm not familiar with.

-Steve T.