Re: [Shop-talk] Sticking/Draging caliper

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Sticking/Draging caliper
From: Scott Ryan <scottmryan@netzero.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 23:17:45 -0600
I did not see the original post. But I will tell you about a very
difficult to diagnose problem I had on a honda (more than one, actually,
but easier to find second time):
rotors would overheat, brake fade, melt the pads and caliper rubber,
when putting the car up on jacks, was working fine, but it turns out the
hose was crushed by rust in a clamp. was keeping a small amount of
pressure in the caliper. The rotors would get red during highway usage,
if you applied brakes when at highway speeds, but did not seem to be
really dragging all that much. It was where a clamp was wrapped around
the brake hose, off the struts. (fronts). Person I got the car from had
replaced calipers at least twice, rotors I think, and pads many times,
in a 2-3 year period.

I hope this helps someone.  Scott R

On 3/7/16 8:40 AM, Matt Wehland wrote:
> <snip>
> The Hyundai caliper was still dragging by hand, but I had to get it
> out of the way, so I just buttoned it back up and took it out for a
> test spin.
>
> Rear caliper seemed to be working Ok, no excess heat being generated.
> 2 weeks of driving and it seems to be Ok.
>
> Last time the caliper (a different one) dragged by hand, it dragged
> while driving, generating excess heat.
> Not this time.
>
> <snip>

> Thanks,