[Shop-talk] How NOT to buff a REALLY sharp knife

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Shop-talk] How NOT to buff a REALLY sharp knife
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 08:41:11 -0500 02/18/2016 08:41:12, Serialize complete at 02/18/2016 08:41:12
--===============6386633441804282128==

--=_alternative 004DD9BB85257F5D_=

OK, I'm looking for suggestions on how to SAFELY buff metal objects (like
knives.)

I started making knives.  So I bought a really nice 3/4HP Baldor buffer.
I've used buffers like this before, normally BEFORE the knife has been
sharpened.  However, I was redoing the handle on  a knife I already
sharpened.  Let's just say, 'things got away from me.'

11 stitches later, I'm looking for suggestions.  I need a way to hold the
blade edge of a knife when working on it. In the past, I've taped the
edge, but this was so sharp, it wouldn't have helped.

I've searched online, but I can't find anything to help.  I was thinking
of a wooden 'sheath' like clamp to put the blade in.

Any Ideas?

BTW, if you want to see photos (or you want help losing our appetite, here
are a few photos of the damage.)  Note, I didn't drop the knife!

http://tinyurl.com/thumbouch

Thanks in advance

Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
Eric P
Waldo Emerson
--=_alternative 004DD9BB85257F5D_=

to SAFELY buff metal objects (like knives.)</font>
bought a really nice 3/4HP Baldor buffer. &nbsp;I've used buffers like
this before, normally BEFORE the knife has been sharpened. &nbsp;However,
I was redoing the handle on &nbsp;a knife I already sharpened. &nbsp;Let's
just say, 'things got away from me.'</font>
suggestions.
&nbsp;I need a way to hold the blade edge of a knife when working on it.
In the past, I've taped the edge, but this was so sharp, it wouldn't have
helped.</font>
anything to help. &nbsp;I was thinking of a wooden 'sheath' like clamp
to put the blade in.</font>
Any Ideas?</font>
want help losing our appetite, here are a few photos of the damage.) &nbsp;Note,
I didn't drop the knife!</font>
Thanks in advance</font>
Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.<br>
Eric P<br>
&quot;Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.&quot; Ralph
Waldo Emerson </font>

--===============6386633441804282128==--