Re: [Shop-talk] chains vs snow tires

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] chains vs snow tires
From: Mark Miller <markmiller@threeboysfarm.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 19:18:53 -0800
User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/38.5.1 s=q20140121; t=1453346336; bh=m08IJ9P+WcJRceblJ/Vi60l+vw9vz8YMIvtWzCniQrc=; h=Received:Received:Subject:To:Reply-To:From:Message-ID:Date: MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=sV5gHEZZAoyqksJ4CKJQRjfoMMZQ1qptmClLF8jO9U6btDAH6Ey8TlywN5vfl03/2 9dg+8i1nIFZgGTSaFWIGmOI1A1Hux+niM80lIbLmTBny044Jb/BE4KRnD1mRMLwmeQ frWgOHMDvTm1ndHkc/NQHtfmKtXqPOONfpfmlxsWwuekdXYAUlxg5wexFfofuyWiHU 3gBQz/qQQjiHJ/uSyCC/loEOuI11XFu/R8glJ+khH4DsnShsynviqzEozKhEp+q+5D Bpfn959oGKu3+ZH6PtzBefaST44lFESWZzH95MlDLqO4GYPjacem7jaa6TGU4V7zIG 7w/fL6/ZBAtOw==
Personally I found that I was a far worse driver with LSD.  Even a bit
of mescaline was enough to mess up any commute.

That said, I'd recommend getting a set of snow tires for the winter,
mount them on a spare set of rims (junkyard visit time), and put them on
when weather approaches and keep them on till final thaw.
I grew up with snow and now live where I have to choose to drive to it
(Northern California).  As most folks here have little to no everyday
(or ever) experience with snow there is mandatory chain use when there
is snow or ice.  They are a pain, but do the job of at least slowing
people way down.

Regards,

Mark Miller
markmiller@threeboysfarm.com