Re: [Shop-talk] Rats!

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Rats!
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 23:31:22 -0500
On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 10:24 PM, David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 9:12 PM, Todd Walke <racertod@racertodd.com> wrote:
>

>>         Contrac Blox is only available on the site in 18lb buckets.
Federal
>> law restricts sale of the 4lb pails, but there are sellers on eBay that'll
>> sell them anyway.  4lbs lasts me for more than a year, with 6 stations
>> around my house.  There are other baits available that can be sold in 4lb
>> pails.
>
> Is there a reason for that?  That seems sort of nuts. I can buy 16
> pounds of the stuff, but not 4?  Having to drop 80 bucks instead of 20
> is going to keep me from using it wrong?

So I found the regulation in question:

 http://www.regulations.gov/contentStreamer?documentId=EPA-HQ-OPP-2006-0955-0
764&disposition=attachment&contentType=pdf

which says, among much else,

b" To reduce wildlife exposures and ecological risks, the Agency will
require sale and distribution limits intended to prevent general
consumers from purchasing residential use bait products containing
four of the ten rodenticides that pose the greatest risk to wildlife
(the second generation anticoagulants b brodifacoum, bromadiolone,
difenacoum, and difethialone). Moreover, bait stations will be
required for all outdoor, above-ground uses of these second
generation- anticoagulants.

there's also discussion that you're not going to be able to get it the
grocery store or hardware store because they won't stock stuff that
big, and that agricultural and industrial users will have access to
them.

Not at all incidentally, the same RMD prohibits non-professional use
in residential settings.  (The concern is that the vermin will eat
super-lethal doses, and then be eaten by something else, and that
something else is poisoned.  That's not considered a risk in other
settings because of greater availability of other food sources.)

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com