Re: [Shop-talk] Welding Class Project Suggestions

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Welding Class Project Suggestions
From: steve hochschild <shochschild@att.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2015 12:54:35 -0600
Make a small patio table using square or rectangular tubing for the
legs, and angle for the perimeter of the top.  Cut a piece of hardiboard
for the top, and then you and your wife/friend/daughter can make a
mosaic tile top for it.  Don't forget to cut and weld small pieces to
fill in the bottom ends of the legs, so they don't sink into the dirt or
dig into the deck.  Grind all the welds very smooth.  Spray paint it
with the cool textured or hammered Rustoleum, or something else I like
is bed liner paint.

This is good a good practice project, as it requires you to figure out
how to use the right angle magnet or clamp, how to design the way the
legs and angle meet, and how to weld tube.  Every patio or porch needs a
plant stand or small table, and best of all, it makes this new activity
look like it might add to the household.  And the womens luv mosaic
crafting...

I have made a bunch of these, sold a few, and have morphed them into end
tables using stainless, as well as stand up planters so my mother
doesn't have to bend down to plant her flowers.  I have even given them
as crafting gifts, with the thinset, grout, and table as a kit, leaving
the recipient to design and buy the mosaic tile art. One friend ended up
using broken porcelain like old plates that she got from the Goodwill to
make a really beautiful ocean scene with sand, blue waves, and clouds in
the sky.

My local community college welding class started with oxy/acetylene,
then went to stick.  The second semester was where we got to MIG and
TIG.  I would have preferred to have completely skipped the stick
welding, as I have no interest there, but I have since purchased a MIG
and two TIG welders.  Good luck!!!