Re: [Shop-talk] Drop lights

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Drop lights
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2014 09:10:58 -0800
On 12/27/2014 1:03 AM, gordon bird wrote:
> Ibll second the LEDs.  In the past, my garage door opener would vibrate
> and even the rough service incandescent bulb would only last a few
> months.  Itbs been nearly 2 years now that I have had the Cree LED
> installedb&

Prices on the LED stuff have come down a lot, and the choice is better.
  I've started putting LEDs in some of the more heavily-used lights
around our house.

Our house has something like 85 low-voltage MR16 fixtures, mostly
enclosed insulation-contact cans, and aside from being painfully
expensive most of the MR16 replacement LEDs on the market for the past
few years (notably Philips) have carried warnings about use in enclosed
fixtures.  Home Depot now has a house-brand 'Ecosmart' at $15 each that
claims compatibility with enclosed IC fixtures, I swapped out the
halogens in my office (where I really needed more light anyway) and
they're working well (it's only been 2 months, though.)

The clear Philips bulbs with the crown-shaped refractor are working well
in our outside fixtures, and the cheaper 40W Cree units in the entryway
ceiling fixture.

John.