Re: [Shop-talk] Since it's been quiet here, I'll add a second questions

To: eric@megageek.com, shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Since it's been quiet here, I'll add a second questions
From: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 21:45:52 +0000
---- eric@megageek.com wrote:
> OK, on my plow tractor (a Hustler 275zero turn) I have flood lights to be
> able to plow at night.
>
> Here is the problem, if I run the lights, they work fine at first, then
> they seem to 'short out' the ignition after running a while.  Problem is,
> I can't find the short.

Some information about how the lights and ignition are wired would help.  Also,
what happens when it "shorts out" ?  Does it start again as soon as you turn
off the lights?  Is the battery dead afterwards?

Normally, a short in power wiring (like to the lights) results in wires visibly
leaking smoke, so this isn't likely to be a garden-variety short.

But, it might well be that something is overloaded and going open when it gets
hot.  Could there be a self-resetting circuit breaker in the circuit?  Do the
lights and ignition get power through the same switch?

Likely the easiest route forward is to plow with the lights on in the daytime,
and then immediately start troubleshooting when it dies.

Randall