Re: [Shop-talk] Performance Air Cleaners

To: Jim Stone <1789alpine@gmail.com>, shop-talk <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Performance Air Cleaners
From: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 1:42:13 +0000
---- Jim Stone <1789alpine@gmail.com> wrote:
> If the KN options (I
> think that is what Edd is using) are so good and increase horsepower, why
> wouldnt the manufacturers - particularly BMW - put them in to begin with?

Because manufacturers warranty the engine.  There's also the emissions aspect
of rings that wear out, and so on, plus most people don't like hearing intake
noise.  The K&N filters do flow more easily, as they claim, but they also stop
less dirt than the stock filters.

And from the real world tests I've seen, the power increase isn't all that
much either.  One percent is useful on the track, certainly, but hardly
noticeable on the street.
Randall