[Shop-talk] Performance Air Cleaners

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Performance Air Cleaners
From: Jim Stone <1789alpine@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 19:13:23 -0500
I have been watching old episodes of Wheeler Dealers lately and the last two I
saw were about an MX-5/Miata and BMW 3 Series.  In both cases, one of the
first things Edd did was replace the stock air cleaner assembly with a
performance air filter.  According to Edd, it is all good: increased
horsepower, better sound, etc.  However, I have to believe that the
contraption he is replacing (filter box, filter, hoses, etc.) costs the
manufacturers more than than performance filters would.  If the KN options (I
think that is what Edd is using) are so good and increase horsepower, why
wouldnt the manufacturers - particularly BMW - put them in to begin with?

Just curious.  And thinking about my 2000 3-Series.