Re: [Shop-talk] dryer squeak

To: "Tim ." <tims_datsun_stuff@outlook.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] dryer squeak
From: Paul Parkanzky <parkanzky@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2014 16:41:51 -0400
Cc: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Tim,

We went through this on the Frigidaire dryer in the home we just sold.
What you need to do is open the top of the dryer and take the front panel
off.  There are two latches to get the top to hinge up in the front of that
seam.  I pushed on them with a putty knife.  The front panel comes off if
you disconnect the door switch and remove a couple screws.  Now, unhook the
belt (from the back access door) and lift up sharply on the rear of the
drum.  There is a ball on the back of the drum that rides in a groove.
You're popping that out of the top.  Then you can pull the drum forward and
through the opening at the front to remove it.  I applied some high-temp
grease to the saddle that ball rides in (or to the ball, I don't remember
which) and the squeaking went away.  That dryer was made in 1995 and had
never given us any problems, so I was willing to throw a couple thermostats
and some grease at it to try to get her to the 20 year mark.

You can find Youtube videos if you google something like, "Frigidaire Dryer
Drum Removal."  You'll see that it's actually pretty easy.  I learned to
disassemble the dryer and get the drum out in about three minutes after a
couple of times through.

Good Luck,

-Paul