Re: [Shop-talk] Smart thermostat ?

Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Smart thermostat ?
From: Ronnie Day <ronnie.day@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 13:34:37 -0500
Cc: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
We had a Honeywell programmable in the house we were renting while we built
our new place, and I'm sure it more than paid for itself, especially with
our highly variable central Texas temps. It was around $65, IIRC. The newer
"smart" units can be far more expensive, around $250 right now but I expect
prices may begin to drop soon as production volume and sales increase.
These will probably have to be connected to a router or switch so they can
be accessed remotely with a computer or mobile device.

One point about Honeywell. When we bought the unit at Home Depot the
packaging said it would automagically switch between heating and cooling
modes based on pretty simple programming, which was what we wanted. Turned
out that the packaging was incorrect and the model in the box had to be
switched manually. When I called Honeywell customer service they were very
nice and sent the correct, more expensive unit overnight and free of any
cost. Told us not to bother sending the incorrect unit back. Good C/S, IMO.

Ron