Re: [Shop-talk] Mixed fuse sizes?

To: John Innis <jdinnis@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Mixed fuse sizes?
From: Jim Stone <1789alpine@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 15:43:30 -0400
Cc: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Thanks, John.  That is pretty much what I assumed, although I didnt think
about the fact that there might be a branch circuit in there somewhere.  Good
catch!  One thing I forgot to mention is that they were slow blow fuses.  I
believe that is appropriate for a stove, but could be disaster on any branch
circuit.

Home Depot lists 50 amp fuses, so hopefully they are readily available.  I
assume he will also have to find a matching carrier or proper adapter, but
that should be possible given that the fuses are out there.

I will pass this info on to my friend.  When he called last night I told him I
didnt have a definitive answer, but knew right where to find one!  Thanks for
the quick response and for proving me right.

Jim

On Aug 29, 2014, at 3:34 PM, John Innis <jdinnis@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have seen this before, but ONLY when the "240 V" circuit was being used as
two separate 120V branches.  So house originally had a 240v water heater, it
was replaced with a gas water heater and the now unused 204v circuit was
re-purposed into two 120vac branches.  I am pretty sure this is not to code,
and generally not a good idea.  As soon as you have a single 240v load back on
that circuit, you need to go back to matching fuses.  The cartridge style
fuses always look burned when they blow, but this one likely was running on
the ragged edge for a LONG time.  Ideally you need to install TWO new 50amp
fuses in this fuse carrier.  But Not sure if they are available in that
rating.  More important, you need to find out if anything else is wired to
that circuit.  If someone installed a branch circuit with 14 ga wiring, it
MUST be disconnected from this circuit, it will not survive the 50 amp load in
the event of a short.