[Shop-talk] Delta Unisaw

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Delta Unisaw
From: Mike Rambour <lists@dinospider.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 12:31:06 -0700
  Hi,

  I have a Delta Unisaw 1 1/2HP 220v model, its about 30-35 years old, I
bought it new in late 1970's or very early 1980s.  It has worked
flawlessly until now.

  I needed to rip a plain old 2x4 the other day at a 45 (corner to
corner on the 3.5" side), so 2 passes and the saw kept overheating and
shutting down.  Wait about 15 minutes and hit the "reset" button and it
would work another few feet.

  I was getting a lot of smoke and it did NOT smell like electrical
smoke, more like wood smoke but the wood was not getting burned as if
the blade was dull, no burn marks on the wood.  The blade is fairly new
and looks/feels sharp but it was definitively straining at cutting the
2x4 at a 45 degree, 2x4 was fairly dry, certainly not green.  I did
check the motor, not a lot of sawdust on or around it.

  I didn't have a new blade to try but I am wondering if after 30+ years
either the "reset" breaker is going out OR if the motor is going out and
how to test it.  The only other time I had this problem was years ago
cutting a 1/2" wide groove 1" deep into hundreds of boards.  I had to
make that cut in 3 passes but I expected that problem since I had a dado
blade cutting into oak.   I am going to try a new blade first :)

  This is home shop use, so the saw would be used heavily for a few
months of weekends on a project and then would sit unused for months
until the next project, I have done some really big projects on it and
cut some serious wood with it but I would not consider it heavily used.

   Mike