Re: [Shop-talk] Cleaning up machined surface for oil seal

To: PJ McGarvey <pj_mcgarvey@hotmail.com>, Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Cleaning up machined surface for oil seal
From: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 21:54:56 +0000
> So either the new seal is just failing (it was after a track day), or whatever
> I did to clean up the surface made it worse, or just Murphy's dumb luck and
> it's leaking more now than before.

Have you considered a Speedi-sleeve?  You may have to look it up by size if
they don't have that particular application listed.  I've had good luck using a
sleeve that was listed for a shaft some .010" larger than the one I had; used
some Loctite "circular parts mount" under it and it sealed fine.

Something else to look at is how snugly the shaft fits into the bore that
supports it.  On my Chevy, that bore was plain cast iron, and it wore oversize,
allowing the equivalent piece (the Chevy didn't use a flange, just a CV joint)
to wobble around.

Randall