Re: [Shop-talk] Boosting a UPS?

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Boosting a UPS?
From: Mark J Bradakis <mark@bradakis.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 17:55:25 -0600
Randall wrote:

> If it is a non-backed outlet as you say, then I think this might be more a
> symptom of problems on the supply side.  It shouldn't be
> an indication that the UPS itself, or it's batteries, are worn out or nearing
> overload, since the non-backed outlet is connected on
> the input side internally.  Most likely though, it is just the power fail
> detection in the UPS picking up the sudden drop when the
> fan motor is first turned on.

What I need to do is shut everything off for a day, move around some hardware,
rewire a few things, etc.  But the beeping
did remind me I wanted to get a higher capacity UPS as right now only two
servers are on it. I know it works because during
thunderstorms we get power bumps as tree limbs shake loose wires somewhere.
They last a few seconds, maybe a minute.
Right now my monitor and the networking hardware are not on the UPS. I plan to
get a 500 - 700 watt unit in the near
future and run its AC supply right from the breaker box.

Yep, RealSoonNow.

mjb.