Re: [Shop-talk] Electrical safety question (and Alaska local question)

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Electrical safety question (and Alaska local question)
From: MattMahony <MattMahony@Comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 06:54:28 -0700
References: <OF58273CB9.20F8178F-ON85257D1F.0049AE72-85257D1F.004A9B7C@mail.megageek.com> s=q20140121; t=1406210091; bh=VVQZBqzR9uzxhqVQskSkteYQbduI4R7/Btg6uhp2ozk=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:Date:From:MIME-Version:To:Subject: Content-Type; b=tJS3B8YOQnq28LsflfxEIqLWbWeLWjn8hkR81vDW0BqOC4ZpFAm+PfToWQR5iWvkT BTQa5qd6zkK3PvkjvajNGVQqTIUFCkBpyLW+SAZ91CWQriRgmpmoaBxLinweuq9NUD DCl0dWl+z3NBGLmYkunA0oE35fcbr3gV4KOO/ntbKhYJGcSmftJPMVQpp1fCE183E1 /XYXgQv+DNITXCOTvW0VR2aePSV0ZKiqoUJnJSPpEwjUlYfpUKIpAxdKwqo/ySTGJP 070OgCT8VhHaxIzvDwTs9uBNOmIj1RH9kq2X6vNAHCbSqe0du+Ku3D7jeThVCTONse McfhU1cIyvYHw==
Eric;

The problem is that you are supplying two branch circuits (in the
trailer) from a single branch circuit (the duplex receptacle). Your
total available amperage is limited by the single branch circuit and it
will be easier to trip the single breaker feeding that branch. This
setup is a violation of the NEC but it wouldn't be unsafe as long as it
is properly grounded.

It truly would be more convinient in the long run to supply it with a
240V 15A circuit. Most generators have this output capacity.  A 12 Ga, 3
wire with ground cable is not that expensive and would make your setup
portable.

Matt